Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

MP3 players and working out?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 11-15-02, 12:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got a question for all the folks out there who has MP3 players.

If and when you do some sort of work out with your MP3, how is it? Does it skip? Is it good for the player?

I want to take care of it and if jogging with the player can shorten the lifespan of it, I would avoid it.

If it makes any difference, I own an iPOD.

Thanks...
Old 11-15-02, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've got an iPod coming in next week. The general consensus around the iPod forums is that the 5 gig doesn't seem to skip near as bad as the 10 and 20 gig. To be honest, I don't know why this is, I just know that's what they say.

I would think since it has a 32 meg buffer that it would only need to be still every 30 or so minutes. I know it isn't really good for the unit to be shaking while the hard drive is spinning up. If the platters touched you could have some bad problems.

But once again, I don't own one, just hearsay for me.
Old 11-15-02, 02:12 PM
BT
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would also say that most mp3 players that do not contain harddrives, but instead use memory cards or internal memory do not skip much if at all. This is because there are no moving parts that can be messed with while jogging.

Nike has its own line of mp3 players which might be exactly what you're looking for: At Amazon.

edit: Ooops. Just saw that you have an iPod. I'd recommend against jogging with the iPod simply b/c of the fact that it uses a harddrive for storage. Anytime the iPod refreshes its memory to load songs to play that harddrive is going to spin up. Jogging with it is probably not a good idea as you'll be tossing it around while the harddrive is moving.
-BT

Last edited by BT; 11-15-02 at 02:16 PM.
Old 11-15-02, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I also didn't know that MP3 players skip. Thought those were only problems with CD players (since cassette tape players didn't skip). But I guess things with moving hard drive pieces would skip, huh?
Old 11-15-02, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by BT
I would also say that most mp3 players that do not contain harddrives, but instead use memory cards or internal memory do not skip much if at all. This is because there are no moving parts that can be messed with while jogging.

Nike has its own line of mp3 players which might be exactly what you're looking for: At Amazon.

edit: Ooops. Just saw that you have an iPod. I'd recommend against jogging with the iPod simply b/c of the fact that it uses a harddrive for storage. Anytime the iPod refreshes its memory to load songs to play that harddrive is going to spin up. Jogging with it is probably not a good idea as you'll be tossing it around while the harddrive is moving.
-BT
If you can get a good deal on the "Nike" players (they are made by SonicBlue/Rio/Diamond MultiMedia) then go for it. Just be warned that they are the first gen product with fitness in mind. Otherwise you will probably want to look at the second generation sport players from SonicBlue at their website here

Check out the "s" series players on the lh menu under audio/portable.

HTH.
Old 11-20-02, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Any other suggestions? I need one for jogging...doesn't have to hold alot, preferably small....any ideas? Oh yeah...it can't cost an arm and a leg...because I'd have a hard time running...though if I sold my car, I could buy a sweet one and just run everywhere...hmm... nah. So any suggestions?

-pedagogue
Old 11-21-02, 02:07 AM

I bought the Intel Personal Audio Player 3000 several months ago so I could use it for exercising. I run with it all the time, and I haven't had any problems with it. The faceplates are a little hokey, so I just removed mine. I also use a different set of headphones that offer better sound quality. I recommend it!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...05OM4J/dvdtalk
Old 11-21-02, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

My friend has the RCA RD1060 64 MB, it's super small, and doesn't skip etc.

It is expandable up to 128, with an optional additional 64MB card.

The player use to be around 150 I believe, however, it's now only 75 bucks at amazon. If you want the additional card throw in another 50 bucks or so, so you can get 128, super small, skipfree player for less than 150.

I'm thinking about picking one up one myself, or talking somebody into getting me one for christmas.
Old 11-21-02, 06:45 PM

look around the the intel mp3 player. 128mb internal memory, not expandable though and has fm radio. perfect for working out jogging, no moving parts.
Old 11-23-02, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Hmm...interesting. I think i'll be buying myself an early xmas present...just not sure which one.

-pedagogue
Old 11-23-02, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Ok...I'm looking at the different MP3 players on amazon, and i'm not sure which to get....

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...05OM4J/dvdtalk (Same link as above, if it doesn't work)

RCA RD1060 64 MB Kazoo Digital Audio Player
List Price: $169.99
Price: $79.95
You Save: $90.04

RipFlash 128MB Digital Voice Recorder and MP3 Player/Recorder
Price: $149.99

Nomad II (c) 128 MB Clamshell Silver
List Price: $169.99
Price: $129.95
You Save: $40.04
Mail-In Rebates: $20.00
Price After Rebates: $109.95

Samsung Mini Yepp 64 MB MP3 Player YP-20S
List Price: $149.99
Price: $99.99

Creative Labs NOMAD IIc MP3 Player (DAP6406)
Price: $98.95
Mail-In Rebates: $30.00
Price After Rebates: $68.95
RCA RD1000 Kazoo Digital Audio Player [MP3 AUDIO]
List Price: $149.99
Price: $59.99
You Save: $90.00

I would LOVE one that can be securely clipped or strapped, i'd rather not have to hold it. Any good/bad experiecnes with any listed above? Is 64mb enough? Should I get 128mb? How cheap is add on memory cards? (I should have bought some cards when they were going for next to nothing awhile back)

-pedagogue
Old 11-24-02, 01:31 PM
Stealth Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
64 MB is approximately 12 songs (or about 1 hour). Would that be enough for you?

I feel that I need at least 4 hours (about 256 MB) of songs to make an mp3 player work for me. So I'm just waiting for the prices on the larger cards to fall.

I really like the Nomad MuVos. Works as both an mp3 player and a flash drive.

It's $149.95 at Amazon.com with free shipping. Use a $5 coupon to make it $144.95.
Old 11-24-02, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The samsung yepp as earlier mentioned is the BEST for working out if you want an mp3 player... it has an arm band that is great for attaching to your arm.. no need to put it on your waist or hold it.
Old 11-24-02, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I use the Nike PSA 120 (64mb internal w/ external 64mb card).

Pretty decent player, but the unit is starting to have trouble reading the extra memory card.

You can find a refurbished unit at Overstock.com for around $120.

I suggest going with the NIKE PSA 128max. It's the newest model with 128 mb(internal memory). Found it on Yahoo shopping for about $169.

Both units come with an armband.
Old 11-25-02, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The new rios - S10, S50, S30, S35 - all support Secure Digital cards...right now up to 256 MB Secure Digital Cards. The s30 and s35 are shaped ovally like the Nikes and can carry around a ton of music. I own the s10, it is really light (I was previously an owner of the Rio 500)

The next firmware update should allow 512 mb secure cards as well.
Old 12-02-02, 01:09 AM

I second the MuVo suggestion. These are *tiny*... they weigh about an ounce. They don't have a clip though, but if you don't want to hold it in your hand, you can put it in your pocket and run the cord inside your shirt or something (that's what I do). I love this lil' thing!
Old 12-02-02, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by chanster
The new rios - S10, S50, S30, S35 - all support Secure Digital cards...right now up to 256 MB Secure Digital Cards. The s30 and s35 are shaped ovally like the Nikes and can carry around a ton of music. I own the s10, it is really light (I was previously an owner of the Rio 500)

The next firmware update should allow 512 mb secure cards as well.
Last night I ordered the Rio S35S and can't wait for it to arrive. I plan on using when I'm running and working out.

I thought about getting the Creative Muvo but it's not expandable and doesn't have an armband or belt clip.
Old 12-03-02, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Aftermath - Check out rioworld.org for info on the Rios and Help. Although it is an unofficial site, Rio people answer questions there. Also make sure to get the latest firmware - 1.60 - there is a link to it on the rioworld message boards - it is not available on the sonicblue site yet.

Dan
Old 12-03-02, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by chanster
Aftermath - Check out rioworld.org for info on the Rios and Help. Although it is an unofficial site, Rio people answer questions there. Also make sure to get the latest firmware - 1.60 - there is a link to it on the rioworld message boards - it is not available on the sonicblue site yet.

Dan
Thanks chanster, I'll check it out.
Old 03-26-03, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can someone recomend one of the newer units that is at least 64mb and expandable? I need one for the gym and I need to a cheaper model. I saw a reconditioned Rio S30 for $100. Is this one of the better deals out there?
Old 03-26-03, 08:33 PM

I just picked the RCA RD1070 about a month ago from circuit city. It was 100 dollars. I've had no problems what so ever. I work out during lunch 5 days a week with weights and stationary bike. It comes with 128 mb and I put 60 songs on it in wma format. It also has a slot for a memory card which I think it can handle a 128 mb card. Its small and lightweight. Here's the review I gave:

Reviewer: RG from DALLAS, TX
5 out of 5 found this review helpful 4.8

JUST GREAT!!!
I bought this player about 1 week ago. Its been smooth sailing since I've had it. People said they were having problems with XP, no problem here. I already have musicmatch on my computer, so the plug-in was not problem to install. Guess what, I don't even use musicmatch with the player. I could put around 20 songs on it, not enough. Here's what you do, go to the internet, find a mp3 to wma converter. Then convert the songs you want on the player to wma. I use dBPowerAMP to convert. I have to use the Windows Media Audio V2 codec. I have set to 64 kbps and I heard no difference from 128 kbps in mp3 format. Then drag and drop into the player file(comes up removeable disk on my computer). Here's what make it great, I was able to fit 60 songs in wma format on the player, 60 SONGS!!!! I think this is a great player for under 100 dollars!!! Now I just got to buy a memory card, need more songs, lol.

Hope this helps...
Old 03-27-03, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What do you guys think of these and for these prices?
Rio 800
Nike PSA60
Rio S30S
Nike PSA 120

I like all of these prices, I really need to stay under $100. I am not a fan of RCA, Phillips. I like Rio, Samsung, Creative, Sony etc. I want at least 64mb, with the option of expandability. It must be small and have some kind of clip to be hands free at the gym.
I also have a 10% coupon for Best Buy this weekend, so if they have one for a good price, that is another option.
Old 03-27-03, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Cusm
I'm probably a little biased since I own a Rio S35S, but I would go with the Rio S30S. With that 10% discount it'll only come up to $90. I think Nike should stick to making athletic equipment and let electronics companies make electronics.
Old 03-27-03, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Cusm
Rio 800
Nike PSA60
Rio S30S
Nike PSA 120

I like all of these prices, I really need to stay under $100. I am not a fan of RCA, Phillips. I like Rio, Samsung, Creative, Sony etc. I want at least 64mb, with the option of expandability. It must be small and have some kind of clip to be hands free at the gym.
I also have a 10% coupon for Best Buy this weekend, so if they have one for a good price, that is another option.
I've been looking to. I'd stay away from the Rio 800. I recently picked up a Rio 600 (32mg) at Walmart, marked down to $40.00. But once I started researching on the net, realized it took some stupid "backpack" memory thingy it you want more music. So, took it right back.

Even if you "think" you won't need more memory, the prices on the ones that are expandable are no more expensive then those that do not expand. But IMHO you would want to get on that took some sort of standard memory card.

I've been looking at the newer Rio S30s and S35s.

Also, go to some of the review/opinion sites. The NIKE's are getting HAMMERED. I'd stay away....

Last edited by Sdallnct; 03-27-03 at 11:08 AM.
Old 03-27-03, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have seen the Nike(Rio) getting hamemred as well. I like the S30S for $100 refurbished from Sonicblue the best so far. I am going to look locally tonight after work to see what I can find here. I have to have expandability, and I like that the S-series has a large expandability capacity.

Anyone know the difference between the S30S and the S10? Both are 64mb. They are differently shaped.

Last edited by Cusm; 03-27-03 at 01:00 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.