Reload this Page >

Help! Random Lockups

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Help! Random Lockups

Old 10-20-02, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help! Random Lockups

Randomly my monitor's screen will go black and nothing works. The computer doesn't automatically reboot; nothing happens. No response from keyboard, mouse, etc.

Things I know:
The power and reboot buttons still work. I know heat isn't an issue. The install of XP is fairly fresh (1 week).
I ran MBM5, and it showed the voltages just a tad low Core 0=1.74 Core 1=1.87 +3.3=3.23 Everything else was about dead middle.
The system has been running fine for about 9 months.

Specs:

Nforce 420D
AMD 1600
512 Crucial Ram
Antec PS (the one that came w/ the 1040 case)
3 Maxtor HDs
DVD/CDRW
GF3 Ti200
Using onboard Sound and NIC
XP w/ SP1

Anyone have any suggestions?
Old 10-20-02, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

what did you change before this happened?
Old 10-21-02, 07:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have Drive Image w/ an image of a fresh install on it. I installed XP w/ Office, Photoshop, Norton, UT2003, and that's about it. Then I made an image of it. About 1 month later it starts to do this. So, I go back to my clean image, and it still does it.

The CPU isn't uder some major load when I do this either. I'll just be doing something simple and it blacks out.
Old 10-21-02, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

hum

so it would seen to be hardware related.

Try this.

go into the bios and underclock the computer. go to 100 FSB. this will slow down the computer and also put less stress on most of the components.

lets see if it continues to happen even underclocked.

then we will need to figure out what is causing it.
Old 10-22-02, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Okay, I'll give that a shot.

The worst thing about this is it only does it maybe once every 2-4 days, which is just enough to make it an annoying problem. I think fixing it is going to end up being a long drawn out thing. So, it might be awhile before I respond
Old 10-22-02, 08:19 AM
Banned

Last time I had a really strange problem that I couldn't figure out I was doing some other things with the case cover off and noticed that it didn't happen then. Put the cover back on and it started happening again. Installed a fan (case had no fan before) and it hasn't happenned since and it's been more than a year. Oh yeah, and adding some memory caused all of this to happen. When I told Mushkin what the problem was they said that they had never heard of it happening before. I doubt that heat is your problem but since it's easy enough thing to check you might want to consider it. If I had to guess it might be your disk image (I just don't trust them) or your video card.
Old 10-22-02, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

yeah, heat and power supply was the first thing that came to mind when this started happening, so I checked both of them first. I've run w/ the cover off, etc. and it still does it every now and then.

I might just end up reformatting completely just to see if that fixes it
Old 10-22-02, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Have you "updated" any software drivers lately?

It does sound like possibly a heat issue ... do you get any particular error messages? When I had lockups on my xp machine it was due to my memory banks overheating. Fixed the cooling issue and it's all good now.
Old 10-22-02, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I updated to SP1, updated to 40.72 det, and updated the nforce drivers. I've thought about all of these as possible problems. This could possibly be the problem. I could erase the graphics or nforce driver and go back down. If I have some free time I'll reformat tonight.

My case stays at about 29 and my CPU is about 41. I don't think these are high enough to cause problems. Plus, they've been at these temps for the past 9 months or so, and it's run fine.
Old 10-24-02, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My temps stayed stable but I ended up having random lockups anyways. So, I did a little test and opened up my case - pointed a big ass fan towards the innards and voila! no more lockups. So, installed another case fan and it's been great since.

I suppose I better clean out my innards someday ...

It's possible that either dust buildup and whatnot or maybe just plain old wear and tear from the buildup effects of heat has made some hardware begin to act funny? Way off base?

Anyways, sometimes you really never know. Try the fan thing and see if you get lockups ... then you really know it's not a heat issue.
Old 10-24-02, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by bill_n_opus
My temps stayed stable but I ended up having random lockups anyways. So, I did a little test and opened up my case - pointed a big ass fan towards the innards and voila! no more lockups. So, installed another case fan and it's been great since.

I suppose I better clean out my innards someday ...

It's possible that either dust buildup and whatnot or maybe just plain old wear and tear from the buildup effects of heat has made some hardware begin to act funny? Way off base?

Anyways, sometimes you really never know. Try the fan thing and see if you get lockups ... then you really know it's not a heat issue.
If I have another lockup I'll give it a try. I actually haven't had any in about 4 days, knock on wood.
Old 10-27-02, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Could it be flaky memory chip? If you use several memory chips, maybe can remove one at a time and see if it still lockup.