Looking for a Utility to close open Files/connections over a network

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 10-07-02, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,

I work for a software company and one of the things that get done is when a new version of software is built it's built in a separate area and then copied to the main network drive for the rest of the company to access. They call this process the SYNC.

Well the problem we run into is that in order to do the Sync, we need to delete the existing version, and if someone has a file open, attempting to delete returns an error. We've got a utility called OFL that will close the connection to the file, but if someone is in one of the sub folders in Explorer then we still receive an error and the OFL utility won't close the connection.

Does anyone know of any utilities that would allow us to close both file connections and explorer connections? I'm not necessarily looking for freeware, if the utility costs a few bucks my company would be willing to purchase it.

Thanks for your help!
Old 10-08-02, 05:10 PM

Assuming you're running some flavour of Windoze, you can do this on the server. Under NT 4, I think it's in the Server control panel. In W2k, open the Computer Management applet (under Admin tools, drill down to System Tools->Shared Folders->Open Files, right-click, and pick 'disconnect all open files'. That should do it.

Note that it's not necessarily a really healthy thing to do, especially to the poor guy who might be trying to edit one of those files...
Old 10-08-02, 05:16 PM

yeah we know you can do that but the problem is it's the users that need to be able to do this and not the admins... also, the share is at a higher level. We have a share and under that share are folders for each release version and they only need to sync one version at a time. So we'd kick people off working on say 1.0 when they really only wanna sync 2.0..

The one utility we have will check down to folder level and will drop people who have files open, but if they're in a folder in explorer it won't disconnect them (or they do and the client reconnects itself.)
Old 10-08-02, 11:55 PM

Ahhh... okay, sorry, I misunderstood which side of things you're coming at this from. Doing it on the server would still let you pick & choose which ones you want to disconnect, but it might be a bit of a pain.
Old 10-09-02, 07:50 AM

Yeah... the other problem is the users that are in the folders via explorer seem to reconnect when they're disconnected. I think we just need to come up with a better system. But my boss wants me to look for a new program... I'm not having much luck tho.