Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

A just bought a new hard drive. A big question.

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 10-05-02, 01:19 AM
Suspended

Location: Indianapolis, IN. Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends. We're so glad you could attend. Come inside! Come inside!
Received 551 Likes on 380 Posts

How do I copy my current hard drive (20GB) to a new larger one (40GB) with windows XP? ( I have heard that XP can be hard to do this). I do not think I have space or a spot to "plug in" as 2nd drive option.
I do not have a OP system disk. I only have the "restore" disks that came with my computer.
Old 10-05-02, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Couldn't you remove one of your other IDE devices, temporarily, so you would have a space to plug in the second drive?
Old 10-05-02, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by TheMadMonk
Couldn't you remove one of your other IDE devices, temporarily, so you would have a space to plug in the second drive?
naw i think he wants to copy all the contents of that drive over so he can boot windows from it without having to reinstall everything. I didn't know windows could do that but sounds kinda cool... I know there are other software programs that will let you do that however

unix users could just use the command dd... hehe
Old 10-05-02, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Do a backup of your system state data, then install the new drive as a slave, do an XCOPY of all the files from the current drive to the new one, then remove the old drive and set the new one as the master, and do a restore of the system state data. That might work.

Or, you could try using a third-party application like Ghost.

RD
Old 10-05-02, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by DivxGuy
Do a backup of your system state data, then install the new drive as a slave, do an XCOPY of all the files from the current drive to the new one, then remove the old drive and set the new one as the master, and do a restore of the system state data. That might work.

Or, you could try using a third-party application like Ghost.

RD
yea you would need to do some massive defraging after you did XCOPY your system files would be all over the place... Ghost or DriveImage are two good options...
Old 10-06-02, 08:02 PM

I hope you haven't started this yet. With Windows XP you can't just Xcopy from one drive to the other. If you do that the S.I.D (System Id Number) will be different and windows will fail to load.

If you use Ghost you will need a program called Ghost Walker which will help you change the S.I.D. number to match the new hardware components.

This is one of microsofts solutions to piracy, cool right!! NOT!
Old 10-06-02, 10:55 PM
Suspended

Location: Indianapolis, IN. Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends. We're so glad you could attend. Come inside! Come inside!
Received 551 Likes on 380 Posts
Where can I get "Ghost Walker"

Originally posted by Bigbot
I hope you haven't started this yet. With Windows XP you can't just Xcopy from one drive to the other. If you do that the S.I.D (System Id Number) will be different and windows will fail to load.

If you use Ghost you will need a program called Ghost Walker which will help you change the S.I.D. number to match the new hardware components.

This is one of microsofts solutions to piracy, cool right!! NOT!

I do already have a copy of Ghost.

Thanks for the info above. -mspmms