Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

upgrade: processor or graphics card?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 10-04-02, 08:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'm looking to upgrade my system, but i'm not sure what to start with. i'm running a 1.2 ghz pent 4 with a geforce 2 pro. i've only recently found problems with slowdowns when playing brand new games. (mafia, gta 3, etc.) and even those aren't terrible. any suggestions as to what to upgrade first?
Old 10-04-02, 09:06 PM
X
Administrator

Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts
Good question!

I think a 1.2GHz P4 is pretty punky. I don't think they really got going until they approached 2GHz. I'm not an expert in the relative benefits to games of upgrading a GeForce2 to something faster. But a GeForce2, in my opinion, is pretty darn fast.
Old 10-04-02, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Welcome to the Forums!

Hmm... that's a tough one. What about your memory? How much you got? You could get more memory and overclock it a bit. I'm not quite sure abut your current card, another thing is it could be a heating issue. Some people say that adding another fan has helped their gaming.
Old 10-04-02, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Well, eventually you're going to need to upgrade both, as I'm sure you're aware of. I think you'll get more life out of your GF2 by upgrading your processor to, like X suggested, 2 GHz or higher. Your processor will very soon be the bottleneck of your computer (and may already be).

Something you could consider is upgrading the processor right now, and then waiting until the NV30 comes out, which will lower the prices of the existing GeForce4 cards. If you do eventually upgrade your video card, I recommend a GeForce4 Ti4400 or Ti4600, which should last you a good while.

I'm not sure if you're running with Antialiasing on or not, but if so, turning it off will greatly increase performance. Yeah, you'll get the jagged edges, but you won't experience slowness.

Memory helps too like Ranger suggested. 256MB minumum for a Win9x machine and 512 for a WinXP machine is a good guideline.
Old 10-04-02, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
I have a P3 500 with a GeForce 2 Ti 64MB and 256MB of ram and GTA 3 plays fine
maybe it's something else causing the slowdown?
Old 10-04-02, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Wow, all these people saying the 1.2ghz is slow Get a GF3 at least, that will do wonders. I went from a TNT2 Ultra 32MB to a Geforce 3 and my games got WAY better, and that was only on an Athlon 650. I recently had an Athlon XP (running at 1.14ghz, instead of 1.53...long story) and had no problems with anything...ran most games at 1280x1024 will full gfx. If you have at least 256mb of ddr ram or something, and that 1.2ghz...get a better gfx card fisrt for sure.
Old 10-04-02, 11:39 PM

Your CPU and Graphics card are pretty evenly matched. If anything your CPU is faster by a hair.

Flip a Coin.
Old 10-05-02, 02:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I would upgrade drivers and increase your ram. a newer video cards might have issues with power and even having the room to fit.( geforce 4 Ti4600 is real long and barely fits in my full tower case)

also a more powerful P4 might not work depending upon the motherboard.

what are all the parts and specs.

for example. the motherboard, amount and type of ram, power supply(brand,model number would be helpful), everything in your system.
Old 10-06-02, 11:52 AM

I don't think they even made a 1.2 PIV, they started out at 1.4 gig. They did make a 1.2 gig PIII, which if you do have this then it's fast enough to play current games.

The cpu you have can determine you cpu upgrade options and whether or not you should spend the money for more ram (if you upgrade ram and still aren't satisfied, chances are you can't use the same ram if you need to buy a new motherboard for a cpu upgrade.

Do you have at least 256 mb of ram? If not you should try this first.

What resolution do you play at? Higher resolutions/detail settings on games require a more powerful graphics card. A geforce 2 should be able to play all current games, but you'll have to play at lower resolutions and lower detail settings for best frame rates.

If you do decide on a new graphics card there are several sub $100 options that would be a good match for your cpu. Gefroce 3 and Radeon 8500 cards are fairly close in perfromance, and both should be well matched to your current cpu. They both should allow you to play at 1024x780 with details cranked up pretty smoothly.