Webcam Advice Needed

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Webcam Advice Needed

Old 10-02-02, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Webcam Advice Needed

hello all...

i'd like to set up a webcam at my house, in my hallway.. what i want to be able to do is check in on my pets when i'm not home for hours at a time. i would like the video to be streaming, not something where i have to keep hitting reload just to get still pictures...

what is a decent webcam i can get to do this job? not looking to spend a lot of money on it.. also, what software do i need to run this over the internet so i can log in and view it? thanks in advance...
Old 10-02-02, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

For software, you can use webcam32 (it's what I use). Pretty easy to setup and use. Don't know about the cam, I just use a an old intel cam.

Dave
Old 10-02-02, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

If you have an always on internet connection you could have the cam software FTP the pic every few seconds to your webserver (free webpage offered by your ISP?) and write a simple HTML document to display the pic and have the page coded to refresh every 2-3 seconds or so...
Old 10-02-02, 04:23 PM
Stealth Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
I use webcam32 also. Basically there's a java applet that you put on a web page which will pull the streaming video from your PC. Get more info at the webcam32 web site:

http://www.webcam32.com
Old 10-02-02, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

thanks all for the info... any ideas on cams though? looking to spend < $100.. thanks again.
Old 10-02-02, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Check out the Logitech ClickSmart 510. Available refurbed at www.compuvest.com for $75 or new for $95.
Old 10-03-02, 10:36 AM
Stealth Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Many ppl on this forum liked the Intel cameras. I have the Intel® Pro Video PC Camera. I don't know if Intel is still in the webcam market though ...

Get a known brand, and most webcams are pretty much the same as far as quality goes.