Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

WMP 9 Nightmare

Old 09-13-02, 10:47 PM

WMP 9 Nightmare

Even after my friends told me don't download WMP9, I did anyway just to watch the 30+MB version of Halo2 last week. Everything had been working fine until this morning I double clicked the shortcut and a message saying that some program files were damaged or something like that popped up. After I clicked "ok" a window popped up for me to report this error to MS. I clicked "send" and it wouldn't do anything.

I tried to uninstall it and you guessed it, there's no way to uninstall WMP9. I even tried to reinstall it, but it would get hung up on installing 3 of 10 files. I tried to reinstall 7.1 , but to no avail. I found that WMP9 had destroyed some .dll files and the problem was I didn't know which ones had been damaged because the error messages wouldn't tell me.

The only thing that saved my butt was that I hadn't removed Win98se from my system when I upgraded to WinME. I uninstalled WinME and rebooted. Every file and program was still there except (thank God) WMP9!! I then tried my WMP7.1 and it worked and even played the 30MB Halo2 trailer flawlessly. I then reistalled WinME and everythings is fine now with WMP7.1.

Sorry to bore you guys but for someone thats computer illiterate as I am, I feel like I just conquered Mt Everest!!

I urge anyone who's thinking about downloading this to seriously reconsider. I consider myself very lucky that I was able to remove it the way I did.

This WMP9 can go straight to hell.

Last edited by WOWZY; 09-13-02 at 10:56 PM.
Old 09-14-02, 03:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It's beta for a reason. I haven't had a problem with it yet (crossing fingers). Just search for mplayer2.exe and use that - it's the old school media player and should work perfectly for all .AVI, .MPG, etc. files.
Old 09-14-02, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

WMP is getting just as bad as Realplayer. Totally useless unless you want your PC to run like crap. Go to www.hotfiles.com and download RegCleaner. It should be able to uninstall WMP 9 plus anything else you want to get rid of.
Old 09-14-02, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I installed WMP 9 Beta on an XP system at home and my Win2000 Pro box at work with no problems. A friend installed it on his win2k server box at work with no problems. The problem is usually any MS OS based on Win9x.
Old 09-14-02, 08:04 PM

I hope that no one has any problems with it, but as long as there is no uninstall with it, I'm never getting it again.

More on the "No Uninstall"

http://geek.com/news/geeknews/2002Se...0913016322.htm

http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1104-957704.html

Last edited by WOWZY; 09-14-02 at 08:09 PM.