Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

NTFS or FAT32 for XP?

Old 09-13-02, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

NTFS or FAT32 for XP?

If all I have is my modest home system with XP Pro that I will install on it, is there any disadvantage to choosing either FAT32 or NTFS, either in performance or functionality? Is NTFS objectively superior, or are there some drawbacks?
Old 09-13-02, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

NTFS is a superior file system with one caveat, it is going to make it near impossible to dual(multi)-boot operating systems. If you have no desire to do this, then NTFS all the way.
Old 09-13-02, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd say go with NTFS, too. I have never heard of anybody using a Fat32 FS on XP. NTFS is definitely stable for me at w2k.

BTW, looks like you're going to go XP before me! Lemme know how it works on your system!
Old 09-13-02, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

NTFS is the way to go. But it will break compatibility with some older file system utilities.
Old 09-14-02, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I have XP home edition on my computer with fat32 and no problems. I keep thinking of switching it to NTFS but am a little reluctant since I have no problems. I should have switched when I first installed it but screwed up somehow. I would say choose NTFS if you haven't installed it yet.
Old 09-14-02, 03:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by teplitsa
NTFS is the way to go. But it will break compatibility with some older file system utilities.
I don't think I have any programs that fit this description. What are some examples?