Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Q: How to limit internet access in Win 2000?

Old 09-13-02, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Q: How to limit internet access in Win 2000?

I have a friend with the following situation:

A two computer network that is connected to the net via DSL on computer #1. Computer #2 cannot access the internet yet has access to files and printing through the network. How can internet access be prohibited/blocked to all staff members with the exception of 2 persons (managers) on computer #1?

This is a retail environment and both computers are utilized as cash registers. The staff will need to have the ability to start/shut down the computers and utilize a register program, Microsoft Word, etc. There is currently a nightly polling (unattended) to a corporate location via telephone modem on computer #1.

System: AMD Duron 800 Mhz
Ram: 256 megs
DSL Modem: Lucent DSL Pipe
Ethernet: AsoundX AL500-S 5 port 10/100 Mbps Switch

I've not worked very much within Windows 2000

Thanks in advance for suggestions/assistance!

Sonicflood
Old 09-13-02, 06:29 PM
X
Administrator

Blocking port 80 outbound for their IP on the router is a good start.
Old 09-13-02, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Q: How to limit internet access in Win 2000?

Originally posted by Sonicflood
I have a friend with the following situation:

A two computer network that is connected to the net via DSL on computer #1. Computer #2 cannot access the internet yet has access to files and printing through the network. How can internet access be prohibited/blocked to all staff members with the exception of 2 persons (managers) on computer #1?

This is a retail environment and both computers are utilized as cash registers. The staff will need to have the ability to start/shut down the computers and utilize a register program, Microsoft Word, etc. There is currently a nightly polling (unattended) to a corporate location via telephone modem on computer #1.

System: AMD Duron 800 Mhz
Ram: 256 megs
DSL Modem: Lucent DSL Pipe
Ethernet: AsoundX AL500-S 5 port 10/100 Mbps Switch

I've not worked very much within Windows 2000

Thanks in advance for suggestions/assistance!

Sonicflood

If are are running active directory then the admins could make a group policy object for IPSEC to block port 80 on all computers except the managers'.

Another way is to either assign static IP's to the PC's or make reservations on the DHCP server for each PC to get the same IP all the time. Then at the router create an access list to block port 80 for all the employees' IP's.