Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Computer crashes when I play divx files

Old 09-13-02, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Computer crashes when I play divx files

I own a SONY VAIO laptop running windows XP home, its model FXA53, so it has a 1.3 athalon processor and 256 mb or ram, and an 8mb ati vid card. My problem is this, whenever I have a large movie file on my computer, it crashes sometime into the file. Sometimes almost immediately, and sometimes in the middle or end. This happens mostly with DIVX encoded files but it has happened to some MPEG files, most notably MPEG2 files. I thought it might be a graphics card error so I reinstalled the drivers for it. When that didn't help, I used the back discs that came with the laptop to start from scratch and that hasn't helped either. Anybody know what the problem could be short of me having to call SONY or MICROSOFT now that I've moved to Japan? (I bought it a month ago while I was in the US)

Also, rarely, but once in a while, it crashes when I'm playing a DVD. After I used the backup CDs, it hasn't done it though. I wouldn't be surprised if it does again though. Is this something to do with the level of graphics intensity, ie. divx, mpeg2, files?

help please, posted on another board, but no response. Thanks!
Old 09-13-02, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sounds like crappy video driver. Have you tried to change the color depth to see if it help?
Old 09-13-02, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Is it at 16 or 32 bit color? 16 bit is more stable. 8 mb should just be enough to watch DVDs. I'd say to checkthe driver too. And maybe just do a DirectX test.
Old 09-14-02, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

what's a direct x test?
Old 09-14-02, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Go to start>programs>accessories>system tools>system info> tools> directx diag. It probably isn't important but I'd like to know what brand his vid card is and if he sees anything unusual. Like it'll test the 3d capabilities, it's probably rally done by gamers.
Old 09-15-02, 05:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ok, i did that and:

Its an
ATI Rage- Mobility - M1 AGP 8.0 mb card

under notes it says:
No problems found

I did all the tests and all of them were successful. Also, I lowered the bit rate and it still crashes when I play certain divx encoded files I *know* aren't corrupt.

Maybe the video card just sucks. I didn't think anything that came out now would have problems playing any video files (mpeg2, divx etc...) oh well. One thing though, using my intervideo dvd software works a lot better than using Windows Media player, meaning it goes a bit before it crashes, whereas if I use windows media player, it crashes almost immediately.

My comp works fine for about 95% of regular video downloads though, regular mpeg files, quicktime, realplayer, etc...
Old 09-15-02, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So it crashed every time you played certain video files? Why not use WMP 6.4, look for it in your WMP folder. A lot of people prefer this player. It is possible that the vid card is a bit weak , but since this is a laptop, its not exactly upgradeable. So, maybe best thing you can do is update your video codecs and turn hardware acceleration to full. Maybe, maybe, there's a update to that ATI card's driver Finally, another thing is that it could be a heating issue since video files have 100% CPU usage and it is an AMD, which are known to get hotter.
Old 09-17-02, 04:25 AM

Are you playing divx movies or dvds?
Try updating your ati video driver to the latest version.
Old 09-19-02, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

it crashes when I play DIVX files. It crashed on certain dvds before, but then I put in the XP backup disks and started over and its been fine since then. but divx files still screw up.
Where would I go to find the driver I need specifically?
Old 09-19-02, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

ATi is known for their sukekeke drivers. i'd say try different drivers, and see if the video conflicts with anything in the IRQ