Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Information needed regarding LCD problems.

Old 09-13-02, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Information needed regarding LCD problems.

OK so I purchased a 17" LCD monitor from Ctxintl because it got an editor's choice from I believe PCMagazine and I got it for 636 after shipping online from EMS computing. I bought this in July and now I have 2 noticeable pixels burned in. I called up customer service and they told me that industry standard is that before the warranty is violated there has to be at least 8 pixels burned in. Is this really true? So I have to wait for it to break down more to be able to get it replaced? Does anyone have any suggestions or what they would do in my situation?
Old 09-13-02, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

This is true. When they make LCD monitors they allow room for defects. If they only shipped perfect monitors then the manufacturing yields would much smaller and the price would be much higher.
Old 09-13-02, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So I'm stuck with the 2 pixels then?
Old 09-13-02, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by spainlinx0
So I'm stuck with the 2 pixels then?
Depending on the policies of whoever you bought from, yes. Everyone has different policies. I've heard Dell will take laptops back because of bad pixels. Others have strict policies concerning returns for less than the minimum number of bad pixels.
Old 09-13-02, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

OK well thanks for the info, I thought I was just being ripped off because I had never heard of the company, but I guess then I just have to live with it.
Old 09-13-02, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by spainlinx0
OK well thanks for the info, I thought I was just being ripped off because I had never heard of the company, but I guess then I just have to live with it.
I used to read PC Magazine and that's where I heard about this a few years ago. It's a trade off. If you want absolute perfection, then LCD screens will cost three times what they do today.