Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

HELP: Configuring Linksys Router with SBC DSL

Old 09-12-02, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

HELP: Configuring Linksys Router with SBC DSL

I can't seem to get my router to work with SBC DSL. If someone would be so kind as to walk me through setting it up so that the router automatically logs me in whenever one or all of my 3 computers need to access the internet. I REALLY appreciate your help. I thought I knew what to do, but it doesn't seem to work.

Router Model: Linksys BEFSR41

DSL Modem: Speedstream 5200/5300 series (by Efficient Networks)

The only way I've gotten the DSL to work is when I directly connect it to one of my PCs and logging on using the Enternet PPoE software.

Again, THANKS!!!

Last edited by Absolute Zero; 09-12-02 at 10:42 PM.
Old 09-13-02, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

try here
Old 09-13-02, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The link isn't working for me. Anyone else have a link or other walkthrough page?
Old 09-13-02, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Wish I could help. All I can tell you is that I hooked up a D-Link router to my SBC dsl and shared my connection with my PS2 and it worked right away.
Old 09-13-02, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Do you use the WAN port on the linksys router? Try one of the regular ethernet ports. If you don't have DHCP, make sure your IP addresing and subnet mask assignments are correct.
Old 09-14-02, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

the site i was linking to was a whole knowledge base article about how to setup the router with SBC DSL. if the site still doesnt work you might try contacting linksys tech support and speak with them about it or else see if they can email you the instructions since the site is down at the moment but the page contains a walk-through for what you wanna do.
Old 09-14-02, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It looks like the problem was with the Cable Modem and Router Firmware. An update solved the problem. Thanks to ALL of you who posted to help out!!
Old 09-17-02, 08:12 AM
Banned

I tried doing this and this part didn't work:

Configuring the Router
1. Go to your desktop and double click on Internet Explorer (Located on the Start Menu in Windows XP)
2. When "Internet Explorer" opens type http://192.168.1.1 into the "Address" bar and click on Go

When I try #2 I get the IE error that says that it can't find that webpage. It's like I can't connect to the internet when I go through the router. So if I can't connect to the internet, exactly how am I supposed to configure my router?

Old 09-17-02, 08:17 AM
Banned

http://www.linksys.com/support/support.asp?spid=69

Verizon East (formerly Bell Atlantic)

If you have Verizon's "WinPoet" or "Enternet300" software (PPPoE) installed on your computer(s) you need to uninstall it. Click on your "Start" button, go up to "Settings" and then over to "Control Panels". Go to "Add/Remove Programs" and double click, find "WinPoet" or "Enternet300" and remove it.

Next, go to http://192.168.1.1 in your web browser. Leave username blank, enter "admin" for the password. Once in the set-up page, go down to "PPPoE" at the bottom of the page. Click "Enable" and enter your Verizon Username and Password into the appropriate slots. Click on the "Apply" button and you are ready to go!

So basically they are saying that I have to totally uninstall my existing DSL software? I'd prefer to aviod that. I'd like to be able to easily switch back.

Any way around this?
Old 09-17-02, 05:08 PM

Yep, that's what they're saying. The firmware in the router performs the same function (PPPoE) as the software that Verizon gave you. Think of it this way - it's one less thing cluttering up your system.

If you're really attached to it, you should be able to keep it installed, with a bit of work - depends on how it's set up. I assume you have what's basically a dial-up networking connection that automatically logs you in using the PPPoE software when you try to go on-line?
Old 09-18-02, 08:55 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Dirk
Yep, that's what they're saying. The firmware in the router performs the same function (PPPoE) as the software that Verizon gave you. Think of it this way - it's one less thing cluttering up your system.

If you're really attached to it, you should be able to keep it installed, with a bit of work - depends on how it's set up. I assume you have what's basically a dial-up networking connection that automatically logs you in using the PPPoE software when you try to go on-line?
It's a DSL connection where you manually connect first with WinPoet (or something like that) then run IE. So what you are saying is that maybe I can keep all my regular connection software and just not manually connect first and let the router connect for me.