Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

opinion about ECS notebook please

Old 09-12-02, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

opinion about ECS notebook please

hey guys, im planning to purchase a notebook. any places you recommend? thnx (so far ECS is the cheapest)
Old 09-12-02, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Is that the crazy, custom made, not really a notebook, actually a desktop notebook? I hear good things ...
Old 09-13-02, 01:02 AM

uhhh what?
Old 09-13-02, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

There is a new type of laptop out that is made with some desktop type components, and leaves out a battery. They figure most people have access to an outlet wherever they use it, so they can make it cheaper by leaving that stuff out.
Dave
Originally posted by Mole177
uhhh what?
Old 09-13-02, 11:02 AM

oh ic, whats wrong with these people! some consumers still want the option of "travel" haha.. thats why i want to get a laptop.
Old 09-14-02, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

if you plan to be on the move much, i'd really be sure to check laptops out before buying and consider factors other than price. cheap is great, but it's really a lot harder to swap parts out on a laptop than a desktop, so if you get shoddy parts, you're stuck with them. for me, the biggest laptop factor was weight because i was going to be lugging it around every day. that cool-looking 15" screen stops looking so cool when you're carrying 8lbs or more with the laptop and power supply. if you're thinking the laptop will just sit on your desk most of the time, really consider whether you'd be better off just buying a desktop and saving money.
Old 09-14-02, 01:18 PM

Eeyore- my reason for the laptop is school purposes, i will be lugging it around everywhere, and 8-15 lbs is not a worry, i already carry a good 45lbs lugging my books around. i am in excellent shape so weight issue is not on my mind. true, this is my first time hunting for a laptop, choosing one with easy access compartments is a plus Thnx! i'll consider that.