Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Can I use my own copy of Win XP on two computers?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 09-11-02, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I own Win XP home edition and I would like to put it on both of my computers. Can I do this?
Old 09-11-02, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

With the new license, I don't think so. Did you have to activate it? I don't think it's going to let you activate itself twice.
Old 09-11-02, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You might be able to do it, but it'd be a violation of the license agreement. So can you? Very probably yes. Should you? No. Will you?
Old 09-11-02, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have heard that it could mess your hard drive up. Is this true. The copy I have is a legit copy that I purchaced
Old 09-11-02, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by gusamo
I have heard that it could mess your hard drive up. Is this true. The copy I have is a legit copy that I purchaced
It can't mess your hard drive up, just with Windows Product Activation, I don't know how you can get past the fact that the key can only be used on one computer (legally, that is). I think you may be referencing the recent security flaw in XP - as long as you download SP1, your hard drive should be safe.
Old 09-11-02, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

well, if you purchased a two seat license (or two 1-seat licenses), then sure, you should have no problem. if you do encounter one, just call microsoft, and i'm sure they'll help you out. if you're trying to do something illegal (i.e. only have a 1-seat license, and install it on two computers), then i'm sure there are methods of getting around the activiation, though those methods cannot be discussed here, per DVDTalk rules.
Old 09-11-02, 11:59 PM

I've read that XP takes info from your computer hardware and it links that to the product key. So if you try to install it on two computers then each computer would have to be virtually idential (same hdd/sound card/video card etc.) but I'm not exactly sure how it works.
Old 09-12-02, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Can I use my own copy of Win on two computers?

[Bill Gates]Hell no![/Bill Gates]

You can call Microsft and try ask for a new act. key, but in this situation, I doubt it'll work. I think you can BUY a new license, but I had not done that. But I'm sure its possible.
Old 09-12-02, 12:46 AM
X
Administrator

Maybe the way to put pressure on MS would be to stop buying PCs. If you have to pay so much for the OS for one PC you just won't buy another one.

Kind of why I don't just buy a bunch of junker cars just for the fun of it. The insurance for each one can cost as much as the hardware. So either go with Linux or let the hardware manufacturers know why you're not buying more PCs.
Old 09-12-02, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The key word here being buy.
Old 09-12-02, 12:05 PM

You'll be able to activate it on your 2nd computer just fine. You'll probably have to call MS since the hardware will be different. Just remember that if you have to ever reinstall it on your 1st computer you'll be pretty much screwed.
Old 09-12-02, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If you wait six months youc an install it. The wayit works is Windows takes several hardware features of your computer, and using that data it assigns a unique number to your computer. Using this number they make a unique activation number. The activation number will only work with that one product ID and that one product ID will ony work with your computer and is also unique to your product installation key.

There is a ... [This is the part we don't allow to be discussed here. -X]

At any rate, ocne you activate Windows it will work fine. Howeverf, if you make significant hardware changes (usually more than 3) within 6 months (or maybe it's 180 days...) it will tell you to reactivate it, usually over the phone. BUT, if youw ait more than that time period then you can make changes with no problem. This is where th loophole is: you install a new copy on another computer every 180 days using the same key. You may have to call Microsoft to get a new activation number but you wil have NO problem doing it.

You can even call Microsoft within the timeperiod to get a new activation number for a new computer if you tell them you are installing iton a new computer and took it off the old one, or something like that. The guys on the other end are not software techs or executives. They are paid minimum wage or close to it and don't give a rat's ass about it. lol. They ESPECIALLY don't give a rat's ass if you call real late at night. (They are open 24 hours)

[And this. -X]

So there ya go.
Old 09-12-02, 04:36 PM
BT
DVD Talk Special Edition

Uhh... didn't just tell him how to circumvent the license policy did you?

My advice, save up a little more money and buy another copy/ license for that second computer.

-BT
Old 09-12-02, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by BT
Uhh... didn't just tell him how to circumvent the license policy did you?

My advice, save up a little more money and buy another copy/ license for that second computer.

-BT
No, I just explained, in detail, how it works. I can't help any shortcomings of Microsoft's "technology."
Old 09-12-02, 06:28 PM
X
Administrator

Originally posted by shaun3000
No, I just explained, in detail, how it works. I can't help any shortcomings of Microsoft's "technology."
Explaining cracks and the use of keys that are not yours is not showing a shortcoming of Microsoft's "technology." That's like saying teaching someone how to do a burglary just points out the shortcomings of the victim's doors and windows.
Old 09-12-02, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by X
Explaining cracks and the use of keys that are not yours is not showing a shortcoming of Microsoft's "technology." That's like saying teaching someone how to do a burglary just points out the shortcomings of the victim's doors and windows.
Sorry about that. I didn't think it would be a problem if I just made mention of those things existing. However (and this is not ridicule, I'm just pointing something out) it seems silly to delete what I mentioned and then turn around and mention what I posted in your explanation of why I shouldn't have posted it.

edit-- I didn't mean to imply that the cracks were a part of the shortcomings of the WPA "technology." I was (atleast I thought) making mention of them in passing. I didn't mean to imply that it was a shortcoming. Those are obviously NOT shortcomings. Maybe I should be more passive, next time.

Last edited by shaun3000; 09-12-02 at 07:48 PM.
Old 09-12-02, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Microsoft + Bill Gates = HELL!!