Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Need to update BIOS ........help request

Old 09-11-02, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Need to update BIOS ........help request

Id like to update my BIOS and wondered if anyone had any tips and/or could help me out.
I have had this board for about 3 years now and I have never done it before and have no idea what I'm doing.
Some people have said it is easy,some people say it is a nightmare.
I have heard of horror stories from messing up the BIOS to frying the BIOS chip and being screwed!

The board I have is the ASUS A7V-133

Any help and/or advice would be appreciated.
Old 09-11-02, 12:49 AM

well, depending on your OS, you definitely need a boot floppy disk, with preferably 98 on it, and the bios file copied over to it.. make sure you have the right bios loader (award, or ami, or whatever).. make sure you got the right bios for your board, etc.. and you might want to check with local computer repair shops to see if they do bios repair/updates to see if they can do it for you (or to recover your original bios if something goes wrong).. I have one about two blocks away that does it for 25 bucks, which saved my last motherboard when i used the wrong version of the bios upgrade utility (make sure of that too, some versions are incompatible with some boards)

It's really not as hard as it sounds, but things can go wrong, so be careful about it
Old 09-11-02, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm on XP Pro and do have a 98' boot disk.
The place that I had build my PC wants $50,but if anything were to go wrong I suppose it's worth it.
Maybe I should just fork over the money so if anything goes wrong,it's their A$$ !!!

Thanks for the tips though!
Old 09-11-02, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Need to update BIOS ........help request

Originally posted by VHS?
Id like to update my BIOS and wondered if anyone had any tips and/or could help me out.
I have had this board for about 3 years now and I have never done it before and have no idea what I'm doing.
Some people have said it is easy,some people say it is a nightmare.
I have heard of horror stories from messing up the BIOS to frying the BIOS chip and being screwed!

The board I have is the ASUS A7V-133

Any help and/or advice would be appreciated.
http://www.asus.com.tw/inside/flash_mb.htm

it can be real easy- just make sure you are careful.

do not turn off the computer until you get a message that you did flash the eprom.

frankly if you know nothing about computers paying someone $50 dollars is not a bad thing. however if you know enough and are careful and follow the instructions it should be ok.

good luck.

I used to own that board and I flashed it to get athlon XP support.
Old 09-11-02, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I know computers more so than most,but very little compared to others.
I'm sure I can do it but if I screw up..................NO INTERNET!!!!!!!
Life would end as I know it
I think I can do it,I just hate the probability of my BIOS chip goin on meltdown
Old 09-11-02, 02:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Maybe BIOS flashing has become more complex in the intervening years, but I have done this many times and never had a single problem.

The only thing you might want to do (this used to be recommended) is to make sure and enter the setup screen after you flash and set everything to reset to default, before changing your old settings back (WRITE DOWN ALL YOUR SPECIAL SETTINGS BEFORE DOING THIS!!!). Supposedly this makes a clean slate and a better environment for your OS to adjust. Do others agree to this step?
Old 09-11-02, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I've done it on PC's with never a problem. Did it on a server once and it started blue screening a few times a week after that. I rebuilt the server and everything is fine.