Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

HELP! Can't find all the MP3's I had burned onto my CD!

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 09-10-02, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ok, I had about 50 or 60 MP3's on a CD.

I just added about 30 more, and the program (NERO 5.5) told me it would have to "finalize" the CD in order to fit all the files I wanted.

I selected Yes.

Now, only one folder of MP3's is there, and the 30 I jsut burned.

The other origianal (about 50 or so) are GONE!

Any ideas????????

When I click on Properties for theCD, it says only 102 MB being used. It's a 700MB CD and should be full

I tried the CD in my DVD ROM Drive AND the CD Burner Drive

???????
Old 09-10-02, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Jimminy Christmas!

When I was in the selection process, I had clicked on a bunch of MP3 files from the HD and "slid" them to the folder on the CD

I then hit delete later, becasue it was too many

I think I may have "deleted" the MP3's on there by accident??

It's a CD-R disc, and it is finalized. How can i get them back??
Old 09-10-02, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i think the problem is that you're trying to write multiple times to the same CD-R. you can write on them again (as long as they aren't "finalized"), but i think you will only be able to read the most recently written parts of the disc. (there may be ways around this, but i don't know any)
Old 09-10-02, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Eeyore
i think the problem is that you're trying to write multiple times to the same CD-R. you can write on them again (as long as they aren't "finalized"), but i think you will only be able to read the most recently written parts of the disc. (there may be ways around this, but i don't know any)

Interesting.. ok

Well, thre CD IS finalized now.

I can see ONE folder of the MP3s, the msot recent MP3's, but not the main bulk of 50 or so.

I am thinking I highlighted all the MP3's by accident and then hit the delete key.

Then the CD Burner erased the file names, and finalized itself, and now they are lost forever.

What do you think?

I do have a backup plan. I have a very old 7 CD backup of my HD I made. All the MP3's were on it.

Here is the problem though. My 2 HD's are both NTFS format now. The drive "image" I would be resoting is FAT32. The program I sued is "NTI Backup Now!"

Any ideas anyone?
Old 09-11-02, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Come on guys.

Anyone?

Twikoff?
Old 09-11-02, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I haven't fooled around with multi-session discs in a long time, but I believe that if you don't specifically set the software to link previous sessions, you'll only be able to read the last session written after you finalize the disc.

You should still be able to access data on previous sessions, but you'll need software that can do it. I vaguely recall Easy CD Creator having a session selector tool. Try searching google for a session selection tool. Maybe there's some shareware out there.
Old 09-11-02, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

http://www.cdroller.com/htm/selector.htm
Old 09-11-02, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks for the link belboz

I am downloading the software as we speak

I have never had a problem with multi session CD's before

So, is the consensus that I should wait before I have enough files to totlaly fill up a CD once, and then burn all at once?

I still think it had something to do with me highlighting all the MP3's (that are no missing) and hitting the delete key by accident, but we'll soon find out
Old 09-11-02, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Seems like it will work

It is an "evaluation" version, and will not let me run a full operation of restoring and saving all the MP3's

Belboz-

Know of any FREE comparable programs out there?
Old 09-11-02, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

How can I add files to a CD every now and then, WITHOUT making it a "multi session" CD" ??
Old 09-11-02, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Sorry, I don't know of any free software that can do this. I found the cdroller site on google. I'd suggest further searches there or at *ahem* astalavista.

I stopped using multi-session writes because CD blanks and HD space got so cheap. I would usually hold off on burning a CD until I could fill it up or I would just burn a new CD if I wanted to add a bunch of files.

If you want to use a CD-R or CD-R/W like a big floppy disk, you need to use packet writing. Unfortunately, that capability was never integrated into Windows natively so you need to use a third-party app like DirectCD in order to do it. Lots of people have had horrible problems with such apps, so I've always avoided it myself.
Old 09-11-02, 11:24 PM
Stealth Moderator

Originally posted by belboz
I stopped using multi-session writes because CD blanks and HD space got so cheap. I would usually hold off on burning a CD until I could fill it up or I would just burn a new CD if I wanted to add a bunch of files.
Ditto.

Since CD-R's are so cheap, if I want to add some stuff, I just re-burn the entire CD.