Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Trying to network my computers...need help

Old 09-10-02, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Trying to network my computers...need help

I want to network my home desktop to my work laptop CPU. I have a cable modem, so I though it would be as easy as removing the ethernet cable from the modem and hooking it up to my laptop, creating a direct link from CPU to CPU. However, I don't know where to go from there. The laptop uses win2000 and is set up to run on the network at work. And my home CPU is running win98. I think I should just need to switch them both to use the same protocols and then I can transfer files between them , correct?

Anyone have any hints for me?

Thanks,
Old 09-10-02, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I've always used a router. The CAT-5 cable from the modem into the router, then a cable out from the router to each PC.

How are you connecting them together? What kind of cabling?
Old 09-10-02, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I beleive it's Cat-5. The one that ATT uses to connect my PC to the modem.

I don;t have a router either...
Old 09-10-02, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You just want to transfer files between the two? Or do you want to network them - hook them both up to the internet via the cable modem?

The easiest way to just transfer files between the two would be for you to go to the local electronics store and pick up a USB Crossover cable - not your standard USB to USB cable - but one specifically made for transferring files (it'll have a little bulge in the middle of the cable - the crossover). You just then plug both computers together via the crossover cable and there should be software included that'll do the rest.

If you wanted to connect your computers via ethernet cable, I'm pretty sure you can't do it just by connecting each with a regular ethernet cable. They might have crossover ethernet cables - but the easier way to do it would be to buy a cheap router. You would then be able to have both computers on the internet at once and you could network them via the router so you could transfer files back and forth between the two.
Old 09-10-02, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I never thought of USB transfering....

And yes, all I want to do is transfer files as my LT has a cdrw, and my home PC does not...

Thanks!
Old 09-10-02, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The crossover cable is a good idea, but I believe they are pretty slow. USB is suck for transfer speed. Plus, as Blake said, you would only be able to transfer files, not surf the net from either computer.

You should be able to get a decent router for $40 or less. I'd recommend a Linksys, personally.
Old 09-10-02, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by draven-x
The crossover cable is a good idea, but I believe they are pretty slow. USB is suck for transfer speed. Plus, as Blake said, you would only be able to transfer files, not surf the net from either computer.

You should be able to get a decent router for $40 or less. I'd recommend a Linksys, personally.
Yeah, for sheer transfer speeds, a router would be faster, but not easier. Once you have the router, you have to set up the networking and networking between Win2k and Win98 usually isn't that easy (although I have done it before).

For pure file transfers, the USB crossover cable is the best option now - much faster than a serial cable connection, though not as fast as a router/network. I've never used a USB crossover cable, but my friend used one to transfer all his MP3s from his really old, dying computer to his new computer with WinXP and everything worked flawlessly. While it isn't the fastest connection, it's the easiest, and should do the job just fine.
Old 09-10-02, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

THanks for the advice, I'll look into a USB crossover. I'm not too concerned about speed, I can start it and walk away and do something else anyway.

Thanks.
Old 09-11-02, 07:56 AM

If you only want to hook 2 computers to each other you dont need a router, you just need a cat5 crossover cable. The standard cables are made to hook into a modem/router/whatever but if you want a PC to PC link you have to buy the crossover version. It works fine for file transfers, just make sure you go into network settings and put them in the same workgroup with different names. You can manually assign ips or just use dhcp it should not matter. 192.168.0.1, 192.168.0.2 works fine.

If you want both computers to have internet access at the same time the router is the way to go. It costs a little bit but lets you use both computers full time.