Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Is it pointless to make a VCD out of mpegs?

Old 09-10-02, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Is it pointless to make a VCD out of mpegs?

Ok, here's my situation, and I'd appreciate any advice:

I have a machine running windows XP. I have a bunch of music videos, and thought it would be cool if I could make a VCD out of them. However, my standalone dvd player refuses to play my CD-Rs, so this would be for use on my computer only.

Is there a loss of quality when converting to VCD? I thought it would be good as I wouldn't have to mess with playlists (I do that enough at work). But if there is a big loss in quality, then I won't bother.

Thanks for any info.
Old 09-10-02, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Why not just burn the .mpeg to the CD if making the VCD would be pointless?
Old 09-10-02, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't know if it would be pointless, as I'm not sure exactly what happens to an mpeg file when made into a VCD. Does it get compressed in a new way or does it fix problems? Does quality get worse? I doubt it would get better as you can't get better than your source).
Old 09-10-02, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Nothing happens at all, the mpgs simply get renamed and put into a folder on the cd/vcd, along with a few other folders. If your DVD player can't play VCDs, dont bother.
Old 09-10-02, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Alright, thanks for the info. I deleted the music videos, as my roommate has the DVD. IMHO, there's no point to making a VCD from mpegs when I can walk into the next room and watch it on DVD. As soon as amotokyo carries the DVD, I'll get my own copy...
Old 09-10-02, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The .mpg's get made into .dat files. And for the record, I burn all my .mpg's to vcd, in case I ever get a player that will play them. I can't find one. I kept trying the different apex's at wally world, and they don't work
Old 09-10-02, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by tygloalex
The .mpg's get made into .dat files. And for the record, I burn all my .mpg's to vcd, in case I ever get a player that will play them. I can't find one. I kept trying the different apex's at wally world, and they don't work

you sure your not doing something wrong?
Ive never heard of any apex player that wouldnt play any vcd..
I have the 600a and 1100.. i have friends with the 1500.. and these all work fine..

might be the brand of cdrs your using
Old 09-10-02, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've made a few VCDs of MPEG music videos. It's much better watching it on my TV than on my computer, plus, the TV sound system is better.
Old 09-10-02, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Got an 1100W. Apparently they are two different models of this. One 512kb version and a 1mb version. The 1mb version was made before February 2nd of this year. Anything after that is the 512kb version that will not play VCDs. I checked it out at www.vcdhelp.com and everything.
Old 09-12-02, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It would almost be worth it if my CD player could play CD-Rs. Unless anyone knows a different type of CD-R that will work on a Pioneer DV-606D. And that my roommate has the DVD, which I will get before long.
Old 09-12-02, 08:52 AM

Players that have problems with Cd-rs sometimes don't have a problem with cd-rw.. they are a little more expensive, but not a lot anymore... why not try them.

--krisbee.com
Old 09-12-02, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ok, I'll see if that works, just for future reference. Thanks.
Old 09-12-02, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by tygloalex
my pioneer dv-343 plays just about any video format. it was under $100 a while back at amaz0n.