Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

win2k server help needed...

Old 09-09-02, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

win2k server help needed...

Hopefully someone has seen something like this. We added another T1 connection to our office here, hoping to switch some of the users to that to speed things up to our main office. I use 192.168.109.x for the new network (the current one is 192.168.102.x ). I enable the second network card on the win2k server/domain controller here so people can log into the network and use the server as needed in the new .109 (so the server has 2 ip's, 192.168.102.254, and 192.168.109.254). When I tested this on my pc on friday it worked fine, on my windows 2000 pc. I find this morning that nodbody can log into the network, they get a password not correct error. Only one other person can log in ok, they also use windows 2000 workstation. The rest of the users are using win98. Everyone other than me was still on the old .102 segment, so nothing had changed for them. As soon as I disable the network card for the .109 segment, everyone can log in fine. Any help?
Thanks
Dave
Old 09-09-02, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I've seen all kinds of weird issues with running Win2000 as a domain controller and DNS server with 2 NIC's. Where I work we buy Compaq Proliant's and we always turn off the second NIC. They ship with 2 network cards.

Check out technet. I've seen articles on the issue. It's at http://support.microsoft.com.

Also are you running the server as a router too? Did you properly set up routing? Did you check to make sure it was reconfigured properly?

If you have Compaq servers you may want to look into the network teaming option. We don't use it, but it looks like you can pool the NIC's and give them 1 IP address.
Old 09-09-02, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have to agree with Teplitsa here, unless I am teaming network cards, I always disable the second (or third) NIC.

Are you running AD on your new server? Perhaps installing the AD client on your 98 boxes would help things along.

I have found that AD aware clients have a much easier time with Win2K servers. This is because Win2K clients use DNS for name resolution and your 98 clients are using WINS.
Old 09-09-02, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think you're on the right track. Enabling the second nic is causing a duplicate name on the network. I was able to get a win98 pc to log in ok, by preventing the second nic in the server from registering in DNS. That causes other problems though when it comes to that pc trying to access file sharing on the server. I'll have to look at the AD client to see if that might help.

Dave