Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Should I switch from WinME to WinXP?

Old 09-07-02, 11:16 PM
Admin Emeritus

Should I switch from WinME to WinXP?

Relevant system specs (can provide more if necessary):

933 MHz Pentium III processor
512 MB RAM
Total of 100 GB hard drive space (spread over two HDs)

I have the opportunity to upgrade from Windows ME to XP Pro. In this case, cost isn't an option. My main concern is that my system doesn't have enough muscle to handle XP, but everyone I talk to assures me that I'll be fine.

Should I do it?

And if I do it, should I upgrade, or write zeros to the HD with the OS on it and start fresh?
Old 09-07-02, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

yes.

ME sucks. I have a Toshiba laptop with half the RAM and an 850 PIII and XP Pro runs just fine.
Old 09-07-02, 11:23 PM

Upgrade. Upgrade now.

Me to XP Pro? There has never been such an obvious choice in the history of mankind. As for your system, it has plenty of power for XP. RAM is where it counts and 512 is the sweet spot for Windows XP.
Old 09-07-02, 11:25 PM

And if I do it, should I upgrade, or write zeros to the HD with the OS on it and start fresh?
It's always best to start fresh. I'm assuming you're going to use NTFS so you're going to have to format anyway.
Old 09-07-02, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

For the love of all that is good, UPGRADE!
I'm consulting at a school that has these POS hp machines
and ME....ITS HORRIBLE!

Neitzl
Old 09-07-02, 11:45 PM
X
Administrator

Are you kidding me? You have way enough horsepower to run XP. I have a really similar system with a P3-800MHz, 512MB, 100GB storage (spread over 2 hard drives) and it runs great.

I use it almost exclusively as a home theater computer and any insufficient performance under XP would be quickly noticed. It certainly runs as well with XP as the Win2K partition I have on it.
Old 09-08-02, 12:00 AM

you should go from ME to anything.. that's the worst OS put out my M$ after 95, and 95 was actually kind of good, considering.. *everyone* I know that had ME hated it, had nothing but problems, and if they didnt have problems, their machines had very quirky behaviours that went away the minute they upgraded (or "downgraded" to 98se).
Old 09-08-02, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You should switch from ME to freaking Windows 3.1 if you have to. ME has to be the worst OS ever released by MS (and they'd put out a lot of crap).
Old 09-08-02, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

yes- win me sucks and not in a good mature way
Old 09-08-02, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by PunkYou
You should switch from ME to freaking Windows 3.1 if you have to. ME has to be the worst OS ever released by MS (and they'd put out a lot of crap).
100% right ME is the worst evar

if you have to have a 9x kernal 98se isn't that bad... but its really time for everyone to use the nt kernal.
Old 09-08-02, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Another vote for the upgrade!
Old 09-08-02, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by X
Are you kidding me? You have way enough horsepower to run XP. I have a really similar system with a P3-800MHz, 512MB, 100GB storage (spread over 2 hard drives) and it runs great.
I have the exact specs (except I have 70 gigs) and yes, XP Pro runs like a dream. Just do it Static (UPGRADE RIGHT THIS INSTANCE!)
Old 09-08-02, 02:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So what's the cheapest you can get WinXP either home or pro? Which is better?
Old 09-08-02, 02:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Another vote to upgrade ME to anything. It is without a doubt, the worst OS Microsoft ever managed to sell.
Old 09-08-02, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk God

i think ive always made my stance on winme pretty well known

hell yea.. get rid of that garbage and get yourself a real os
Old 09-08-02, 10:05 AM
Admin Emeritus

Wow... looks pretty clear cut. Thanks for the input, all... looks like I'll be upgrading.

One of the reasons I was worried was that my parents (who have a computer that is not as powerful as mine) decided to put XP on their HP computer, and it was a disaster. I swear, if I had turned the volume on high enough, I would've heard the computer weeping. I went to the HP website and found out that HP strongly recommended that customers NOT upgrade that model computer to XP. Too bad they didn't see that before they plunked money down on the OS.
Originally posted by agent2099
It's always best to start fresh. I'm assuming you're going to use NTFS so you're going to have to format anyway.
What is NTFS?
Old 09-08-02, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

considering.. *everyone* I know that had ME hated it, had nothing but problems,
ME works great for everyone I know that tried it (including myself).

RD
Old 09-08-02, 12:52 PM
X
Administrator

Originally posted by Static Cling
What is NTFS?
NT File System. As opposed to FAT16 or FAT32.

NTFS (NT file system; sometimes New Technology File System) is the file system that the Windows NT operating system uses for storing and retrieving files on a hard disk. NTFS is the Windows NT equivalent of the Windows 95 file allocation table (FAT) and the OS/2 High Performance File System (HPFS). However, NTFS offers a number of improvements over FAT and HPFS in terms of performance, extendibility, and security.

Notable features of NTFS include:

- Use of a B-tree directory scheme to keep track of file clusters
- Information about a file's clusters and other data is stored with each cluster, not just a governing table (as FAT is)
- Support for very large files (up to 2 to the 64th power or approximately 16 billion bytes in size)
- An access control list (ACL) that lets a server administrator control who can access specific files
- Integrated file compression
- Support for names based on Unicode
- Support for long file names as well as "8 by 3" names
- Data security on both removable and fixed disks

How NTFS Works

When a hard disk is formatted (initialized), it is divided into partitions or major divisions of the total physical hard disk space. Within each partition, the operating system keeps track of all the files that are stored by that operating system. Each file is actually stored on the hard disk in one or more clusters or disk spaces of a predefined uniform size. Using NTFS, the sizes of clusters range from 512 bytes to 64 kilobytes. Windows NT provides a recommended default cluster size for any given drive size. For example, for a 4 GB (gigabyte) drive, the default cluster size is 4 KB (kilobytes). Note that clusters are indivisible. Even the smallest file takes up one cluster and a 4.1 KB file takes up two clusters (or 8 KB) on a 4 KB cluster system.

The selection of the cluster size is a trade-off between efficient use of disk space and the number of disk accesses required to access a file. In general, using NTFS, the larger the hard disk the larger the default cluster size, since it's assumed that a system user will prefer to increase performance (fewer disk accesses) at the expense of some amount of space inefficiency.

When a file is created using NTFS, a record about the file is created in a special file, the Master File Table (MFT). The record is used to locate a file's possibly scattered clusters. NTFS tries to find contiguous storage space that will hold the entire file (all of its clusters).
Old 09-08-02, 10:14 PM
Admin Emeritus

Whoa. Thanks, X... hope you cut-and-pasted that from somewhere instead of typing it.
Old 09-08-02, 10:15 PM
X
Administrator

I did.
Old 09-08-02, 11:38 PM
Stealth Moderator

I used to run Windows XP on a PIII-500 with 256 MB RAM and it ran fine.

And yes, you should upgrade. Even if it's just for the sake of upgrading.

I prefer Windows 2000 though ...
Old 09-09-02, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

In a word, YES!

WinME is the worst OS availible