Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Downloading attachments in Outlook??

Old 09-07-02, 05:44 PM
Mod Emeritus

Downloading attachments in Outlook??

I sent a message to myself with a Database file attachment. Outlook only lets me see what file it is, I can't touch it otherwise.

I looked up the problem in the help and this is what I found:

By default, Microsoft Outlook blocks attachment files ( such as .bat, .exe, .vbs, and .js) that can contain viruses. You cannot see or access the attachments. Your Inbox will display the paperclip icon in the Attachment column to let you know that the message has an attachment, and you will see a list of the blocked attachment files in the InfoBar at the top of your message. If you try to open the attachment by right-clicking the item, View Attachments will not appear on the shortcut menu. If you need to use files, such as .exe files, from others, have them post the files to a network share or to a Web share that you can access.
Come again?? I am forever denied this attachment?? Is there any way to override this feature?
Old 09-07-02, 05:58 PM
Mod Emeritus

Oh, btw, it's Office XP running on WinXP.
Old 09-07-02, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You can rename the file with a different extension (e.g., call it "blah.txt") send it, then re-name it ("blah.bat") once you download it.
Old 09-07-02, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

http://support.microsoft.com/default...;en-us;Q290497

How to Customize Attachment Security Behavior
WARNING: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

You can modify the attachment security behavior in Outlook 2002 if you are using Outlook in one of the following scenarios:
You are not using Outlook in an Exchange environment.
In an Exchange environment, the administrator has not configured the Outlook Security settings to disallow changes to the attachment security behavior.
In these scenarios, modify the attachment security behavior by making a modification to the registry. To do so:
Quit Outlook 2002, if it is running.
Click Start, and then click Run.
In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
See if the following registry key exists. If it does, skip to step 5.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\10.0\Outlook\Security
If the registry key does not exist, create it. To create the registry key, locate and then click the following registry key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft
Click the Edit menu, click New, and then click Key.
Type Office, and then press ENTER.
Type 10.0, and then press ENTER.
Type Outlook, and then press ENTER.
Type Security, and then press ENTER.
Click the Edit menu, click New, and then click String Value.
Type the following name for the new value:
Level1Remove
Press ENTER.
Right-click the new string value name, and then click Modify.
Type the extension of the file type that you want to open in Outlook 2002. For example:
.exe
To specify multiple file types, use the following format:
.exe;.com
Click OK.
Quit Registry Editor.
Restart your computer.
When you start Outlook 2002, you can open the file types that you specified in the registry.

NOTE: Microsoft recommends that you enable only the file types that you need. If you rarely receive a particular file type, Microsoft recommends that you give Outlook 2002 temporary access to the file type in question, and then reconfigure Outlook 2002 to block the file type by undoing the changes to registry.
Old 09-07-02, 06:10 PM
Mod Emeritus

Thanks for the workaround. Yeah that would do it wouldn't it. Unfortunately I don't have access to the file I was emailing to myself. Luckily I found the file on a web site, so I can download it.
Old 09-07-02, 06:11 PM
Mod Emeritus

Whoa, thanks!!