Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Anti Ad Buster

Old 09-07-02, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Anti Ad Buster

http://www.antiadbuster.com/

Old 09-07-02, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't know whose worse, Al-Qaida or the company that made that.
Old 09-07-02, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Mopower
I don't know whose worse, Al-Qaida or the company that made that.
The company that made that.
Old 09-07-02, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

That is evil. But, if that "product/script" ever became popular, you know it would take about 10 minutes for someone to figure out how to get past it, and we'd be back where we are now.
Old 09-07-02, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Why is it evil? They try to force ads on the consumer. The consumer subverts their system and cuts off their revenue flow, they respond and try to find a way to recoup revenue, and this will just go back and forth. *yawn*
Old 09-07-02, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If this gets popular, the only thing that will change is that ad blocking will become the same arms race that copy protection is. It'll be a bit of a hassle updating software every few months to block ads, but better than popups.
Old 09-07-02, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

In my case, I make a concerted effort to not buy products that are heavily advertised. Example: I don't drink much soda anymore, but when I do, I make it a point to buy something not made by Pepsi or Coca-Cola, (like Stewart's or Jones Colas). I like not being plastered with ads all the time by multi-millionaire spokespeople pitching a product. I try to support the smaller companies that don't heavily promote their products. If Pepsi can pay "Sports Star X" millions of dollars to pretend he/she drinks their product, they must not need my money, if they have so much to throw away already.
Old 09-07-02, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Bushdog
Why is it evil? They try to force ads on the consumer. The consumer subverts their system and cuts off their revenue flow, they respond and try to find a way to recoup revenue, and this will just go back and forth. *yawn*
It's happening here already with some buttons being hosted on ads.kleinman.com instead of dvdtalk.com. I'm surprised I was even able to post this without turning off my ad blocker for 5 seconds to get the buttons to show up .
Old 09-08-02, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I fail to see how this is evil. I run multiple websites and understand the costs required to keep websites going. If everyone turned off ads in their browser, I guarantee you many sites would either be forced to stop updating, or they would just make you pay for content.

I surf with ads on all the time - sure, I could block them and save some download time and annoying banners - but by doing so, I'm blocking a source of revenue for the sites out there and feel that products like this are viable and a great idea. If I were using PHP or ASP on my site, I'd add the code in a second.
Old 09-08-02, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't have a problem with it, you want to see their site, you have to play by their rules. Just part of the game. I kill pop-ups, but leave banners alone, now if I was on dialup, that might be different...

Dave