Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

No cable or dsl but I can get ISDN. Should I? Please help.

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 09-05-02, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just moved to a new area that will not have Cable until Dec. of this year. I called qwest and they said I can get ISDN. Price is $110.00 to install, price of modem, $79.00 per month and I need to find my own ISP (so I would have to say $14.99 extra for that). I don't know that much about ISDN and would like some help on this one. They did say it was 128K down and up would be between 64K and 128K. Is this really TRUE? I play some online games and would this due?

In Dec. I will have CableAmerica and they will provide 3000K down and 512K up. But that is a long time away. With online classes I really don't want dialup but if it is going to be around the same speed I would rather just pay the $14.99 per month until then. Can somebody help me on this one.

Thanks alot guys and gals.
Old 09-05-02, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

128K is only about twice the speed of dialup. Therefore you're only going to be getting twice the speed of dialup; not very fast at all. Upload will probably be at the speed of dialup. Personally i wouldn't do it because it's too much money for not enough speed. $110 + modem cost + $79/month? That's insane. Stick with dialup even if you have online classes. I'd also forget about online games (unless we're talking chess or hearts); the pings would be horrible. IMHO, stick with dialup until december.
Old 09-05-02, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks for the help. Looks like the slooooooow dialup until December.
Old 09-05-02, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
online games can be played on dialup. not as fun as with cable but it's doable. I played quite a bit of halflife and it's mods online with both
and I agree that $79/month plus ISP is way too much for too little gain
Old 09-06-02, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Don't use it!I am using it and it sucks!ISDN is dead technology!
Old 09-06-02, 09:02 AM
Moderator Emeritus

I think I'd hold out for 3 months rather than pay that much for crappy ISDN. Wonder how long your cable company has been saying December. Mine has said "Summer" for at least 3 years, but it is finally available now.
Old 09-06-02, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's not worth it at all. Four to five times the cost + setup and only double the speed. Stick with dialup until cable comes. You can still play games online with dialup. Most don't need really high trasfer speeds anyway. You just want a low ping. Cable can get you a low ping (<100ms) but when I had it it was usually about the same as dailup anyway.
Old 09-06-02, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by AndyCapps
I think I'd hold out for 3 months rather than pay that much for crappy ISDN. Wonder how long your cable company has been saying December. Mine has said "Summer" for at least 3 years, but it is finally available now.

The contract is signed and they are taking setup dates now. Just yesterday I saw them running the fat pipe on the side of the road. Now all of us in the new community have cable free. That is part of the $30.00 HOA we pay. I stopped and even asked the workers what they were running the pipe for and they stated they need to get this ran or something like that for broadband service. They are also running on channel 11 on cable stating that it will be in December and cable will be switched to digital at the same time. I just hope they come through. In my last home it took 2 years and I had it for 4 months and purchased another home. I almost took my house off the market becase of no high speed at this place. Its a wonder what the internet will do. Doing online classes at dialup speed really sucks.

asabase.

I tried to play Retun to Castle Wolf on dialup and its a no go. Now my ping is about 500ms but still the lag is there.

One other question is ISDN what they called SHOTGUN TECHNOLOGY back in the mid 90's?

Last edited by TheKobra; 09-06-02 at 05:00 PM.
Old 09-06-02, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by TheKobra

One other question is ISDN what they called SHOTGUN TECHNOLOGY back in the mid 90's?
No, but that might be another option for you. Shotgun was a dual line modem that used two phone lines to provide up to 112Kbps (56 + 56) speed. It was setup so that it would free up the second phone line for an incoming call too.

I don't know how easy it would to get Shotgun now, or how much an ISP would charge you.
Old 09-06-02, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

When I intially moved into my apartment last August, the cable company (Comcast) said that cable modem service would be available the following month. Come September, it wasn't ready. They said October at that point. Then in October they said November. Then they said early 2002. Finally I just said "screw cable" and went through with DSL. In the end Comcast took 9 months longer to get the service rolled out then when the originally said. Glad I jumped on the DSL when I did because I was sick of waiting...