Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

When lightning strikes!!

Old 09-04-02, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

When lightning strikes!!

There was a huge lightning storm last night. Around 4:30 am I was awoken by a huge "crash". Turns out the telephone pole outside my house was struck by lightning. Unfortunately my modem didn't survive. I had to purchase a new one from Circuit City. After installing it I had to reset the machine about 6 or 7 times to get to Windows. Then I installed the drivers. Since then I've had one lockup ( I tried to sign on the internet and I canceled the action, my machine went into lockup then).

Is there anything else I should check? I can't help but thinking I missed something or did something wrong.

Old 09-04-02, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It's certainly possible the modem wasn't the only thing fried. Power supplies tend to go out/get damaged pretty easily also.

Dave
Old 09-05-02, 10:43 AM

Sounds like you may have lost more than just the modem, especially if it was an internal - if you got enough juice through the phone lines to fry the modem in your machine, it's not hard to imagine that the current went a bit further...

If you want to try to rule out the new modem as the problem, try pulling it out of your machine again, & use the computer for a bit - see if it's stable or not.
Old 09-06-02, 07:44 AM
colossus

I lost my motherboard this way, via the modem, and the modem was OK!

I picked up a new MB and bought a UPS with a telephone filter. No problem since.