Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Zone Alarm Pro Issues! Can anyone help?

Old 09-04-02, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Zone Alarm Pro Issues! Can anyone help?

Ok,

I have Zone Alarm Pro installed. Vesrsion 2.6

I am running WindowsXP Home, and Compuserve 2000

After I install Zone Alarm, Compuserve 2000 will not connect to the internet. It keeps freezing on the "talking to network" step.

Anyone have any advice?
Old 09-04-02, 04:39 PM

Okay, this one's really obvious, but... did you give it the right to connect in Z.A.P.?
Old 09-04-02, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

What is ZAP?

I installed it, and when I tried to start CS2000, it said "DO you want to allow Compuserve2000 to conenct to the internet" I selected YES. Then it said "Do you want to allow it to act as a server" and I said yes.
Old 09-04-02, 08:21 PM

ZAP = Zone Alarm Pro

Have you tried disabling ZAP and then trying to connect? Make sure in the ZAP "Allow Program" settings that Compuserve has checks and not X's or ?'s next to their settings (to allow connection).
Old 09-05-02, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by dvddude23
ZAP = Zone Alarm Pro

Have you tried disabling ZAP and then trying to connect? Make sure in the ZAP "Allow Program" settings that Compuserve has checks and not X's or ?'s next to their settings (to allow connection).

I figured it was Zone Alarm Pro, but thought that was too easy.

Again, DVDdude has my back

Compuserve runs just fine and connects right away when ZAP is not running

No X's next to CS in the ZAP setup either

Last edited by Sominex; 09-05-02 at 12:40 AM.
Old 09-05-02, 09:40 AM

Interesting. I am assuming you are using Compuserve as a dial-up connection? If so, maybe you need to allow dial-up networking also in ZAP?

I never used any kind of firewall when I was on dial-up, as you really don't need it (you get assigned a new IP address each time you dial-up). When I made the move to cable, I installed the free version, and I recall having some connection issues at first, but once I allowed my networking services, all went smoothly. Also, the "true vector files" within ZA can become corrupt (which happened to me a few times also) and on their support/faq page there are detailed instructions as to how to remedy this - though I don't think that's your problem.

Obviously, ZAP is preventing your connection in some fashion. What you could try is when you boot up, enter ZAP and allow everything - for now. Then run Compuserve, and it should connect. Then boot up your browser. Go back into ZAP and disallow any funky services you don't know (in XP, sometimes they are listed as "service host 32, or something like that") Then go back to your browser and try to go to any site. Once you do this trial and error exercise, you should find the service that needs to be enabled to allow you to connect, and just set it to "always allow". It may be painstaking, depending on how many things you have running, but it should work.
Old 09-05-02, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

dvddude23-

Well, not sure what happened. I rebooted, and put all settings to LOW, and gave everything permission to access the internet. Then logged off, raised the settings to medium, and logged on again. I am at the highest settings now, and all is working fine!

Thanks!
Old 09-05-02, 08:36 PM

I'm glad I could help (I think)? In any event, all is working well - which is always good news!