Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Anyone know of a news server?

Old 09-03-02, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Anyone know of a news server?

I got rid of earthlink because I'm getting free dsl from work. I work for a clec that also has an ISP department, but our news server is horrible. Google groups are OK, but I'd like an NNTP server. Anyone know of one?
Old 09-03-02, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, you'll have to pay for it, but if you're a heavy user, their fees are very reasonable.

http://www.usenet.com/

I have a Platinum account and I'm really happy with it.
Old 09-03-02, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have an account at Newscene and have been using it for a few years. I pay around $12 a month for access and really don't have any problems with their speed or retention.
Old 09-04-02, 06:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

eintier....what kind of speed do you get for $20 a month?

i'm on mindspring/earthlink right now. the speed from mindspring is great, but the retention sucks. the speed from earthlink sucks but the retention is good. between the 2, i do all right, but i'd like something better with retention *and* speed for as little money as possible.

i download a lot of stuff......

cranky.
Old 09-04-02, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

easynews.com has to be one of the best if not the best commercial news service available. They're definitely the most complete that I've seen, their retention is excellent with even binary groups going back as much as 30 days. And I get a very consistent 150 KB/s minimum on downloads (RR cable). Unfortunately, they're somewhat expensive at $9.95 / 6 GB or 1 month, whichever comes first.

Also, you only log into one server, so it's easy to use with Agent.
Old 09-04-02, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm in the market for a server as well, since roadrunners died about 4 months ago and still sucks. I tried Spidernews...worst server ever! Newsguy worked ok back in the day when I used it...$12 a month for 500MB a day. Easynews is fine, but you have to be a millionaire to afford that gigs you need. I easily do 5 gigs a day.
Old 09-04-02, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
Originally posted by discostu1337
I'm in the market for a server as well, since roadrunners died about 4 months ago and still sucks. I tried Spidernews...worst server ever! Newsguy worked ok back in the day when I used it...$12 a month for 500MB a day. Easynews is fine, but you have to be a millionaire to afford that gigs you need. I easily do 5 gigs a day.
Five Gigs a day, damn ....... ...... Makes me think ware.....nevermind
Old 09-04-02, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

mainly used to get tv shows (smallville, 24, Friends, etc) that i missed or dont get on tv....havent used them in months now...sucks
Old 09-04-02, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Don't forget that with easynews if you sign on to the united devices cancer research program, you can get another gig for every 15 days of cpu time, redeemable when you want. Install the program on a couple of pc's that run 24x7, and you can get a few extra gigs a month for free. Install it on 6 or 8 pc's at work, a couple at home, and well....

Dave
(who has something like 30 free gigs in reserve)