Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Is there some way to "track" a W2K computer's usage?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 09-03-02, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This is a request from "the boss". Apparently there is an employee who claims to have been working on such-and-such a day when he/she was possibly screwing off.

I know that I can use the Event Viewer to see when the PC logged on each day, but is there anything beyond that in Windows 2000 that I can look at? I know this is a ridiculous request, but I thought I'd try!

I know of the Journal feature in Outlook that could tell you when Word documents are opened/closed, but we don't have the Journal turned on.

There is also the not-so-helpful method of looking at that user's Home folder on the server and seeing when folders/files/documents were last accessed or modified. Not too useful in this case. Is there anything I should look at on the server to give me some sort of "log" for the use of a particular file, beyond the "last accessed" info? Probably not. (FWIW - NT Server 4.0).

One last thing - assuming none of this pans out, is there some sort of utility I can install on the PC to check this in the future? It should hopefully be something that a regular user doesn't know about. I really HATE this kind of thing ( ); but it's legal, and if "the boss" wants it......
Old 09-03-02, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You can audit most anything on the pc.
Though I haven't really tried it for everything, I've done it for
Printers and such.
If you are looking for a particular file, you can right click on it
and check properties, go to security, click advanced and then
you should have audit there.
if you use group policy, it's even easier.
Does this help?

Neitzl
Old 09-04-02, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
Install RemotelyAnywhere on said PC, and watch the user via a web page, all day log. Turn off the ability to control keyboard or mouse, so he doesn't know that your there. It basically turns his pc into a webserver that servers up he's desktop. You can get a 30-day trail from the company for free.

http://www.binaryresearch.net/radownload.html

I am posting this only becuase I was put in the same situation at my last job, and was forced to do it. very sukekekekekekeke