Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Any way to convert Flash to MPEG?

Old 09-02-02, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Any way to convert Flash to MPEG?

I have some shockwave flash files that I would like to convert to MPEG if possible. I couldn't find anything on Google, so I don't even know if that is possible.

As a back-up plan, does anyone know of a capture utility that could possibly allow me to just capture a section of my screen for a period of time? Thus allowing me to play the flash movie and capture it to MPEG?
Old 09-03-02, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

FYI - I tried both Camtasia and HyperCam, but neither really worked. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-03-02, 02:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If anyone's interested, I found this:

http://www.flashants.com/root/swf2video.shtml

But it's a bit expensive and I also found a utility called swf2avi - search google and you'll find it - but it really doesn't work too well at all...so any other ideas would be great.
Old 09-03-02, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

does it have to be an mpeg, or can it be an avi or mov? i have flash mx, aka flash 6, and it allows me to export my source files as flash, quicktime, avi, windows media, etc. pretty much everything but mpeg. if you got it to quicktime or avi, you could use one of the many conversion programs to take it from there.

how large are the files you have? maybe i can export some for you?
Old 09-03-02, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I actually figured out a way to do it, but it's really long and not easy at all. I first have to use one version of SWF2Video to export the video only (to AVI) (no sound - since it's an older version) then I have to use the newest version to export to AVI with sound - but since they put a big X over the video, the video is useless. I then use AVI2WAV to extract the audio then use a program called VideoFramer to combine the first AVI with the WAV and create yet another AVI. Then I use TMPGEnc to convert the AVI to MPEG.

The SWF files are relatively small, but I'm trying to keep the quality as high as possible, so it'd probably be a bit too hard for me to send you the SWF and then you send it back to me as AVI. But thanks much for the offer.
Old 09-03-02, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

no problem. sounds like quite an ordeal. actually, i checked out flash again and realized that i can only export my source files (.fla)and not a flash (.swf) file, so i wouldn't have been mush help anyway. good luck.