Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Speed limit for DSL

Old 09-02-02, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Speed limit for DSL

I've asked this question before but didn't get much of a response: Is there any theoretical "speed limit" on DSL?
In Japan we have the 5 mb and also the 8mb,but last month they introduced the 12mb and soon end of this year 15mb and 20mb are coming.Rather confused wheater should I just stick to the lowest DSL connection or upgrade to the fastest when it arrives.
Old 09-02-02, 07:15 PM
X
Administrator

Those are some really high speeds! The highest the equipment in my area can handle is around 8 mbps, but they toggle it down to 6 mbps to make it more resistant to noise. And I thought 6 was fast!
Old 09-02-02, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

And I thought 640K was pretty good.
Old 09-02-02, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Isn't other types of DSL like ASDL a lot faster? Like 100MB? and even some netowork servers have special net card that can handle speeds of over 5GB?
Old 09-02-02, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'd say it would depend on the telephone lines and the DSL switches in use.
Old 09-02-02, 08:45 PM

Like teplitsa said, it really depends on the line quality, and the hardware used. DSL speeds (& cable, for that matter) are kinda like processor speeds... sure, if you wait longer, you'll probably be able to get a faster one.. but then there'll be a faster one just over the horizon again, etc, etc. At some point, you've got to decide to just get it, or you'll wait forever.
Old 09-02-02, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I don't think there is any ADSL service up to 100MB even you like 10 meters away from the exchange area.Fiber Optic service might be possible.But using an Anolog line then I don't think so.
12MB service is because they could provide DSL up to 7km from the exchange area.My friend gets 5mb on a normal day even though he is 2.5km away from the exchange area.
It all depends on the telephone line quality,and the hardware and ,mostly the distance.