Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

My computer just fried on me

Old 09-02-02, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

My computer just fried on me

I was playing Neverwinter Nights and it just froze. Looks like the video card. When i looked at it looks like the heatsink fell out for no reason and it fried the card.

I've been thinking about going the xbox route and I guess this clinches it. I'm going to sell off the parts to help pay for the x box. remaining machines are going to get linux installed so I can play around on it. Looks like it may be a blessing in disguise to force me to learn linux and maybe improve my life. And I guess I'm finally done with the PC upgrade cycle.
Old 09-02-02, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Moving the computer forum

Are you sure that the hsf fell out? Usually when a pc frezes it is almost always a heating issue and an extra $15 fan helps. What kind of video card you have?

Yes, the xbox is better for gaming. Good luck.
Old 09-02-02, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It was a Geforce 4 4600. Bought it brand new in March. Unfortunately it was from Visiontek that just went belly up. When I popped the case open I saw the heatsink fell off on one side.
Old 09-02-02, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Could you try put the hsf back there and clamp it securely, ouch.. a GF4 4600 card... I'm not sure if the HSF could totally damge the vid card...
Old 09-02-02, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Ranger
Could you try put the hsf back there and clamp it securely, ouch.. a GF4 4600 card... I'm not sure if the HSF could totally damge the vid card...
Tried but it didn't work. I'm going to test the rest of the parts out in the next few days. Everything is getting sold on ebay and any bad parts will be described accordingly.
Old 09-02-02, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Was the hsf stilll on when it fell? Anything look abnormal? Some fans don't have a grill which could do some damage. But it falling when everything was on could also do some serious damge. Sorry...

Do what you feel is best.

PS, have you tried flicking the surge protector on and off? It sometimes help when you're moving the wire connectors..
Old 09-02-02, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by teplitsa
It was a Geforce 4 4600. Bought it brand new in March. Unfortunately it was from Visiontek that just went belly up. When I popped the case open I saw the heatsink fell off on one side.
before you sell everything have you tried contacting visiontek.

I heard that they are being operated by a receiver and they are still operating. In fact they are supposedly still honoring rebates. maybe they will still honor your warranty(lifetime)

It is worth a try

Good Luck!
Old 09-03-02, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The CPU/mobo/memory is good. I pulled out a Geforce2 MX from another box and now running Linux on my previous game box. Tonight I'm going to retest the video card and my audigy.
Old 09-06-02, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Good news. I called Visiontek from work today and they are still around. Tech support rep said they weren't in chap 11 and were being bought out. He gave instructions how to get an RMA to send the card back for a new one.