Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

avi to mpeg?

Old 09-02-02, 04:50 PM

avi to mpeg?

what is the best way or program (free if possible) to convert a video from avi format to mpeg.

have a video on the puter that is avi and would like to put it to vcd (roxio easy cd creator 5.? wants mpeg) best way to do this?

also if there is a program to clean up the video and output it in the best format onto vcd. see the video is ok looking on my puter in a small windo but can imagine it being right ugly (resolution wise) on the bigger television.

any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated...

thanks a bunch
Old 09-02-02, 05:12 PM

check out:
http://www.tmpgenc.net

free, easy to use. many nice features.
Old 09-02-02, 05:19 PM

right, tmpgnec
Old 09-02-02, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

For all your conversion and video editing/burning needs:

www.vcdhelp.com
Old 09-02-02, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I use tmpgnec, but I've run across some avi files that it can't convert. Some of the divx and xvid files need to be converted to something easier for tmpgnec to handle. Get virtualdub. Its free. http://www.virtualdub.org/ You will also need the codecs for the type of divx or xvid file you have. Use Virtualdub and save the files with another compression format like Microsoft MPEG 4. Then you can convert them to Mpeg.

Try tmpgnec first though, because it can handle most .avi files.
Old 09-03-02, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by darkside
[B]I use tmpgnec, but I've run across some avi files that it can't convert. Some of the divx and xvid files need to be converted to something easier for tmpgnec to handle. /B]
My experience has been the exact opposite. If all the necessary codecs are installed then tmpgenc has no problems. About the only problem I've had with it is on some .avi's it strips out the audio, but still converts to an mpg. Not that no audio is really useful....
Old 09-03-02, 02:51 PM

My experience has been the exact opposite. If all the necessary codecs are installed then tmpgenc has no problems. About the only problem I've had with it is on some .avi's it strips out the audio, but still converts to an mpg. Not that no audio is really useful....
In my experience, I was told that with most (if not all) DiVx files the audio must be extracted from the file forst, and converted to .WAV. Then, when converting the .AVI to MPEG2, the .AVI should be used as the video source, and the .WAV file as the audio source. So far, it has worked flawlessly for me
also if there is a program to clean up the video and output it in the best format onto vcd. see the video is ok looking on my puter in a small windo but can imagine it being right ugly (resolution wise) on the bigger television.
I'm not sure if this is possible, because the original resolution is not NTSC. The files I have converted for playing/viewing on my TV have all been ok, but obviously not as sharp as on my much smaller monitor. In effect, the picture is being "blown up" to fit the 4:3 dimensions of the television set, and look softer - but from a distance they are most certainly enjoyable.

And, if there are apps out there that can help sharpen the converted video, I'd be much obliged to hear about them!