Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Stange monitor problem??

Old 09-02-02, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Stange monitor problem??

Ok here is the deal....I have a 19" proview monitor. I run it at 1280x1024 resolution large fonts with no problem. Windows 98 SE.

I am able to run almost all programs with no problems at all.

The problem comes with Roller Coaster Tycoon and now with Grand Theft Auto 3....when I click on the icon to start the game the computer is resetting the resolution to run the game. All I am left with is a black screen (looks like monitor is going to energy saver mode?) I can alt-tab back to desktop and close it down. I do hear the sound so the game is running just no display.

Other games including Dark Age of Camelot and Morrowind do the same change of resolution thing but come right on.

I do have the latest NVidia Drivers for my video card and the latest drivers for my monitor.

Any ideas? suggestions?

Thanks
Old 09-02-02, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It could have to do with the aspect ratio. 640x480, 800x600, 1024x768 are all 4:3. 1280x1024 isn't. Try 1280x960.
Old 09-02-02, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well Skar your response made sense but unfotunately did not solve the problem.

I am keeping the new aspect though, looks better to me

Any other ideas?
Old 09-03-02, 03:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Try e-mailing tech support for the games you're having problems with. I ran into a similar problem with SmallBall and they told me I needed to have specific monitor drivers. That fixed my problem. I'm not sure if you need to download monitor drivers or not but what I would suggest is to lower your resolution to something like 1024x768 before you start those games. or lower the color depth.
Old 09-03-02, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by dancinns
Try e-mailing tech support for the games you're having problems with. I ran into a similar problem with SmallBall and they told me I needed to have specific monitor drivers. That fixed my problem. I'm not sure if you need to download monitor drivers or not but what I would suggest is to lower your resolution to something like 1024x768 before you start those games. or lower the color depth.
I had a similar problem with Civ3. I had to install the monitor drivers for my 19" Viewsonic and then it worked fine.