Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Anyone here an ASP programmer?

Old 09-01-02, 09:33 PM
Suspended

Anyone here an ASP programmer?

Can anyone help?

I'm a freelance web designer, and I have a very big site coming up for a bank. I focus on basic sites and am more of a graphic designer than a programmer, so I don't know how any of that back-end stuff works.

So, I'm looking for an ASP programmer that could build a log-in membership/account database kind of thing. Like if people were to go to the site to check their bank account info, ballances, etc. I'd prefer a professional here, instead of someone in school or something and just starting to learn the stuff.

If you think you can help, please PM me here or email me at [email protected] Please include your hourly fee and any URLs of sites you've built if possible

Last edited by necros; 09-01-02 at 09:58 PM.
Old 09-01-02, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Depending on what kind of system the bank has, this ranges from pretty hard to extremely difficult.

You do realize that this a VERY large project, right?
Old 09-01-02, 11:31 PM
Suspended

yes, I do For now, all they want is a mock up kind of thing, to show how it should work in the end. Basically, all they need at first is a login/password thing with a few different usernames that takes you to a personalized demo page. So if user 1 logs in, it shows just a basic HTML page that I'll make with their name on it or whatever, and user 2 goes to his own page, etc. Something simple. After they can see how it is supposed to work, then it comes time to do the hardcore stuff. So, it's going to be a long process, not a do it real quick kind of thing
Old 09-02-02, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by necros
Basically, all they need at first is a login/password thing with a few different usernames that takes you to a personalized demo page. So if user 1 logs in, it shows just a basic HTML page that I'll make with their name on it or whatever, and user 2 goes to his own page, etc.
I'm on the verge of being able to do something like that. That's quite a huge project we're talking about though. Plus security would be a big issue considering it's dealing with a bank.

Question: Would it require online transactions as well, such as being able to pay bills? Or will it just be for viewing basic account information?
Old 09-02-02, 02:20 PM
Suspended

The initial demo "site" just needs a basic username/password function, that's all. Eventually, it will go on to include online transactions, tons of security, etc. So yes, it is a pretty big task, but the big stuff won't start for a few months
Old 09-02-02, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You'll need to find out what system the bank is using to store banking data.

You should be thinking about security right from the get go. Also, infrastructure. Who's paying for the hardware costs?
Old 09-04-02, 04:38 PM

Is there a reason you chose to do this in ASP over another programming language? I am a full time programmer that has done a lot of ecommerce and security type of programs but unfortunately don't work with ASP.
Old 09-04-02, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Cyberock,
CF, PHP, jsp?
Old 09-04-02, 04:55 PM

I'm mainly a coldfusion developer which I have been doing for the last 4 years. The last year I've been doing JSP and Java too. I don't consider it true JSP/JAVA since I'm using it with a proprietary language called Blue Martini. I also did a little Forte when I worked for a movie studio about 4 years ago.
Old 09-04-02, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

A fellow CF developer I thought you were talking about Ben Forta at first
Old 09-04-02, 05:13 PM

I'd have to say CF is one of my favorites. I played with a lot of languages and just have always stood behind CF. Ben Forta is a god at his tech books.
Old 09-04-02, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yup, quick and easy.
Old 09-04-02, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just out of curiosity, what of these mentioned would be the best to learn? I've tooled around and made a few .asp pages for some stuff at work. I've been working on some php/mysql stuff on another project that has worked pretty well so far. I haven't used coldfusion yet. I figure I should learn one of these more in depth, rather than a little bit of each. Any recommendations on which would be the 'best' to continue further in?
Thanks
Dave
Old 09-04-02, 10:53 PM

Originally posted by Dave99
Just out of curiosity, what of these mentioned would be the best to learn? I've tooled around and made a few .asp pages for some stuff at work. I've been working on some php/mysql stuff on another project that has worked pretty well so far. I haven't used coldfusion yet. I figure I should learn one of these more in depth, rather than a little bit of each. Any recommendations on which would be the 'best' to continue further in?
Thanks
Dave
Depends on what you want to do. If you're looking for a career in web programming, ASP seems to be the most popular right now. JSP/JAVA is creeping up there too but I'm not a big fan of it since I think it is somewhat slow. Coldfusion is quick and easy as said before but not as many companies use it and you also have to hunt for servers that will host it. PHP is the great cheap solution (FREE!) for people who are trying to set up their own website and can hist it just about anywhere.
Old 09-04-02, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm a network &systems admin, but I figure it wouldn't hurt to have at least some knowledge of one of these to make myself a little more valuable if needed.
Dave
Originally posted by Cyberock
Depends on what you want to do. If you're looking for a career in web programming, ASP seems to be the most popular right now. JSP/JAVA is creeping up there too but I'm not a big fan of it since I think it is somewhat slow. Coldfusion is quick and easy as said before but not as many companies use it and you also have to hunt for servers that will host it. PHP is the great cheap solution (FREE!) for people who are trying to set up their own website and can hist it just about anywhere.