Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Does anyone have an AMD Processor, WinXp, & ATI AIW7500?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 09-01-02, 10:54 AM

Does anyone have an AMD Processor, Windows XP, and the ATI All-In-Wonder 7500 video card? If so could you please e-mail me your amdagp.sys file - I am having problems with windows freezing while trying to upgrade the card on that file, think its due to it not supporting it with my current driver. i would really appreciate it, thanks.
Old 09-01-02, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I will in about a month. You might want to post your question over on the AVS forum. The gurus there can fix you up immediately!

AVS Forum

Go to the Home Theater Computer section.

Good Luck!

Sonicflood
Old 09-01-02, 01:35 PM
X
Administrator

Originally posted by Sonicflood
I will in about a month. You might want to post your question over on the AVS forum. The gurus there can fix you up immediately!

AVS Forum

Go to the Home Theater Computer section.
Just as you said, that is the Home Theater Computer section. I don't find that they really savor generic computer problem threads there, although they do have expertise with the 7500.

And I'm not exactly thrilled when someone's response is merely to send a person who posts a question to another forum. Particularly when that forum is not a really good match and the person wasn't asking for the name of another forum to be directed to.
Old 09-01-02, 01:45 PM
X
Administrator

Are you having problems similar to this:

http://www.computing.net/windowsxp/w...rum/33029.html

What kind of motherboard are you using? What speed CPU? What do you mean by "upgrade the card"? Are you trying to install new ATI drivers? Have you completely uninstalled the previous ATI drivers?
Old 09-01-02, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by X
Just as you said, that is the Home Theater Computer section. I don't find that they really savor generic computer problem threads there, although they do have expertise with the 7500.

And I'm not exactly thrilled when someone's response is merely to send a person who posts a question to another forum. Particularly when that forum is not a really good match and the person wasn't asking for the name of another forum to be directed to.
Jeez dude.. chill! Sorry to offend! That forum IS a good match for his problem! I guarantee they will help you! Also, seeing as though he has an All in Wonder card and 80% of the people over on that forum have THAT card, I can't see how it's NOT a good match. Heck I'll even post the question for you over there and repost here!

How's that?

Sonicflood

Last edited by Sonicflood; 09-01-02 at 02:20 PM.
Old 09-01-02, 02:17 PM

Originally posted by X
Are you having problems similar to this:

http://www.computing.net/windowsxp/w...rum/33029.html

What kind of motherboard are you using? What speed CPU? What do you mean by "upgrade the card"? Are you trying to install new ATI drivers? Have you completely uninstalled the previous ATI drivers?
yea i found similar posts through google - but noone seemed to ever have an answer for it. Its an FIC AN11 w/ an XP 1600 - I am replacing the tnt2 in there with this card. I have tried pretty much every other option and looked at all the boards (I completely removed the previous video card drivers, updated the bios, tried booting into every mode in windows, tried to install the drivers w/o the card in...) and this is about the last ditch to try to get it working without reinstalling. Anyways, if someone could just send me that file I would appreciate it
Old 09-01-02, 02:27 PM
X
Administrator

I already sent it. You can find it in the drivers cab file on the XP installation CD if you ever need it again.
Old 09-01-02, 02:51 PM

Originally posted by X
I already sent it. You can find it in the drivers cab file on the XP installation CD if you ever need it again.
Thanks X, but didn't work Did you just send me the default ones off the winxp cd or do you have the card installed?
Old 09-01-02, 03:04 PM
X
Administrator

I sent the default as that's the only one on my system with a non-AIW 7500 installed. I'm not using an AMD system, but I can go to one if necessary.

Was the ATI driver trying to install a new one and that's where you had your problem?
Old 09-01-02, 03:17 PM

no, i can't even get into windows to try to install the driver. it stops booting before it gets to the xp splash screen, and when i try to boot in safe mode it shows it locks up too and shows it stops at that file.
Old 09-01-02, 03:34 PM
X
Administrator

That sounds exactly like what the person in the link I gave you had trouble with. So you have already put in the ATI card in place of the tnt2? If so, did you completely uninstall your tnt2 drivers and then reboot to verify that you only had the MS generic VGA driver installed? Then put in the AIW 7500. Also, your BIOS setting for AGP might be too aggressive. Have you tried setting it to 2x instead of 4x?
Old 09-01-02, 06:03 PM

yea X, tried all that, nothing seems to be working
Old 09-01-02, 06:16 PM
X
Administrator

Let me get this straight. Your old video card is still in the computer and you can't boot even though you were able to boot before. The ATI card is not in, you haven't loaded ATI drivers. What exactly did you do that made your machine stop booting?

And you have tried booting into safe mode.
Old 09-01-02, 06:44 PM

no no, my computer works still with the old video card - but it hangs when i put in the new one. I've tried safe mode, vga mode, all those.
Old 09-01-02, 06:47 PM
X
Administrator

Oh, ok. That helps.

How do you know you've removed all the old tnt2 drivers? Have you explicitly removed them using the add/remove programs, rebooted, and then set your video to VGA (not allowing XP to auto-install the tnt2 drivers again)? Do you have another video card you can throw in for testing?
Old 09-01-02, 06:52 PM

yea i completely uninstalled them, didn't do the trick. this is my only other video card so don't have anything else i can throw in there.
Old 09-01-02, 06:55 PM
X
Administrator

This is a tough one. I'd almost want to do a new XP install onto a different partition just to see if the card will work on your system at all. You know, put the ATI in, boot off the XP CD, and install into a new directory on a different partition.
Old 09-01-02, 07:49 PM
X
Administrator

I just had another idea. Since the AIW is not just a video card you may be encountering IRQ or DMA conflicts with other cards (multimedia in particular) that you have installed. How about removing any unnecessary cards, put in the AIW and see what happens?
Old 09-01-02, 11:21 PM

i'll give those ideas a shot tomorrow, too tired to do it now.