Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Odd XP crash issue

Old 09-01-02, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Odd XP crash issue

I recently put together an Athlon box for gaming. Asus mobo, 256MB DDR2700 RAM, XP 1600+ and XP home. Everything's been great for the last three weeks, but had a very odd crash this afternoon.

It came out of sleep, I clicked on my account, and the clicked the dialer to check my mail. The whole system locked up. After a hard reboot, the system is non-responsive. Since it was hot in here, and I'm thinking I might need an extra fan, I let it sit for an hour, turn on the AC, etc. Restart and it's still very sluggish, but I get it to shut down on its own, although it took a minute or two to do it. Restarted and shut down a second time just to be safe, and all seemed normal. Restarted again and everything is fine.

I've never encountered this type of crash on a windows box before. Is this normal? Does XP need to shut down after a hard reboot to reset itself?
Old 09-01-02, 02:33 PM
X
Administrator

Any type of crash can be considered normal on a windows box.

Heat, and the after-effects of a crash could be what you're seeing. It may take a cycling like you went through to repair itself, that seems pretty normal to me.

Are you overclocking? How and with what are you cooling the CPU and box? Good thermal grease, right? What temp is your CPU running at when it's hot in the house?
Old 09-01-02, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

your asus mobo probably has a 'health' section in the bios. check it out to see what the temp of the case and the cpu is. or just run mobo monitor....it'll tell you from the systray what your temps are.

cranky.
Old 09-03-02, 03:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by crankyman
your asus mobo probably has a 'health' section in the bios. check it out to see what the temp of the case and the cpu is. or just run mobo monitor....it'll tell you from the systray what your temps are.

cranky.
You can get a mobo monitor here: http://mbm.livewiredev.com/
Old 09-04-02, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Heat is bad, bad, bad.

A short while ago my xp box started acting funny. This coincided with hot weather that came around. I was getting errors and lockups that I never had before. In any case, I thought that needed to reformat XP (typical knee jerk reaction I suppose) but I couldn't even do that! I couldn't install XP because my comp couldn't copy past 2%. I was getting page_fault_in_non_paged_area errors which indicates to me memory problems.

Anyways, I ended getting frustrated and left my comp alone for almost a week. The weather got pretty cold in a hurry and a couple of nights ago I gave reinstalling a shot again and it installed fine and everything is working great again.

So, the moral of the story is that heat = bad. Make sure that heat isn't an issue before coming to the conclusion that your OS is messed up like I did.