Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Finally have all my CD's ripped to the HD.... Yippee!!

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 08-31-02, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I built a new computer to serve as an Mp3 server via my Home Automation system and finally finished ripping over 1100 CD's.

It's SO cool to be able to call up any song from anywhere in the house! I've got the video output of the PC connected to an RF modulator and have it distributed throughout to my TV's in the house for enjoyment (channel 99). I have RF remote control of my media player as well.

I already had speakers throughout the house in all rooms connected to an audio distribution system, so I can now enjoy all my music from anywhere!

What a fine day it is today!

I'm rediscovering so many songs that I've not thought about in years!

Sonicflood
Old 08-31-02, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

how many gigs did that take? and what format did you rip them in? i just bought a 120gb drive tonight to start ripping my cds to. i was planning on ripping all my discs using exact audio copy with the monkeys audio lossless compression plug-in to keep the full original quality.
Old 08-31-02, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Did you rip the all of the cds by whole or selected the tracks you wanted?

I'd like to know how many gigs it took as well.
Old 08-31-02, 10:22 PM

I hope you ripped them at good quality (192+), but I would've gone for a lossless compression format (ape, shn) and use winamp plugins. But hey, good job on those 1100 cd's.. i know i dont even *own* 1100 cds (on mp3 and regular cds) altogether
Old 08-31-02, 10:49 PM

pics?
Old 08-31-02, 11:03 PM

62 gigs of HD space devoted to Mp3's.

I'm still a bit dizzy from all the time spent ripping over the past couple of weeks! It's really addictive once you get started. I was off work today and devoted most of it to ripping. I only wound up with 12 discs that were not recocgnized by CDDB/Gracenote and another 5 CD's that were too scratched/cracked to read well enough. I did rip the entire CD's to the drive, not just individual songs. I may eliminate some of them (songs) at a later date if I run into storage issues.

I'm using Ape Jukebox (great interface for TV viewing/selection) for my CD collection.

Last edited by Sonicflood; 08-31-02 at 11:08 PM.
Old 08-31-02, 11:12 PM

Originally posted by agent2099
pics?
Just for you... here's the new machine:

Added a Pioneer 106s slot load DVD Drive, so I can watch DVD's as well!

Last edited by Sonicflood; 08-31-02 at 11:18 PM.
Old 09-01-02, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Cool...I have been ripping my collection a little bit here and there for a few months. I am out of storage though...currently at ~300GB.
Old 09-01-02, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

what kind of case is that? looks very cool.
Old 09-01-02, 08:01 AM

Originally posted by broadwayblue
what kind of case is that? looks very cool.
Thanks! It's made by Shuttle and I bought it as a barebones system through NewEgg. I built one last month for my dad and liked it so much I ordered/built one for myself as well.

I'm still in the process of building/completing my "big daddy" machine:

- Lian Li case
- Soyo Dragon Ultra MoBo
- AMD 2200 XP Processor
- 512 meg Crucial DDR ram
- 80 gig Maxtor 7200 rpm HD
- ATI AIW 7500 Video Card w/RF remote
- Sony 40x12x48 CDRW
- Pioneer 106s Slot load DVD

I'm only lacking the processor & video card @ this point. It'll be complete next month. I'm glad that the new AMD 2400/2600 processors have come out. It's pushed the price of the 2200 down considerably.

I'm going from a 300 mhz Pentium w/128 megs of ram and a 6 gig HD to what you see above & it'll be like going from a Geo Metro to a Ferrari!

The "big daddy" code named QuickSliver will be my main machine and will serve me throughout college.

Thanks for the replies!

Sonicflood
Old 09-01-02, 11:02 PM

So I guess your house is truly a Sonicflood
Old 09-02-02, 10:01 AM

Originally posted by MichaelBlanton
So I guess your house is truly a Sonicflood
Yes... I guess it is now!
Old 09-02-02, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

so did you use the onboard sound in your shuttle system...or did you add a pci card? i would love to get one of these cases, add a gforce 4 (with dvi and svideo out), high end sound card, 160gb drive for all my cds, and wireless keyboard and mouse. i would connect it to my TV/Home theater system and have a serious jukebox.
Old 09-02-02, 03:39 PM
X
Administrator

Since I ripped my CDs to WAV files, I overflowed the largest drive I had, 80GB, onto another one. Unfortunately I've run out of drive slots on my server.

CompUSA has a sale this week on the WD 120GB 7200RPM SE model with 8MB buffer. Net of about $110 after rebate. Think I'll pick up a couple.
Old 09-02-02, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by X
Since I ripped my CDs to WAV files, I overflowed the largest drive I had, 80GB, onto another one. Unfortunately I've run out of drive slots on my server.

CompUSA has a sale this week on the WD 120GB 7200RPM SE model with 8MB buffer. Net of about $110 after rebate. Think I'll pick up a couple.
yeah, i just picked up a 120gb 7200rpm...i may swap it out for the special edition but tca is notorious for rebates and there's really no difference between 5400rpm, 7200rpm, or the SE w/ 8mb buffer for audio use.

did you use any kind of compression when you ripped your cds? if you use monkey's (.ape) you can save 30-40% and still get the lossless compression.
Old 09-02-02, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't quite understand this Monkey thing. Are you saying that you get completely Lossless compression (IE indistinguishable from original CD) AND a compressed size similar to a MP3? Does winamp play these files?

I might have to re rip my whole collection because my 320kbps mp3s don't quite cut it in my eyes (I'm very picky about sound.)
Old 09-02-02, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Ergyu
I don't quite understand this Monkey thing. Are you saying that you get completely Lossless compression (IE indistinguishable from original CD) AND a compressed size similar to a MP3? Does winamp play these files?

I might have to re rip my whole collection because my 320kbps mp3s don't quite cut it in my eyes (I'm very picky about sound.)
yes, it is indistinguishable from the original CD. from their website "Perfect sound absolutely no quality loss, meaning it sounds perfect and decompresses perfect (it's lossless!)" so you can always burn an original CD from the monkeys files whenever you want. most mp3 players recognize .ape files. i'm fairly certain winamp does, you may need to download a plug-in for it. or check out media jukebox for arguably the best software out there.

the ape files, however, are significantly larger than mp3 files. while the file sizes vary by type of music, on average a 50mb cd audio file should compress to about 30-35mb. you should be able to get at least 2 complete albums ripped onto 1 gig of HD space. for ripping i have been using Exact Audio Copy with the monkey's plug-in. pick yourself up a 120gb drive and you should easily have room for archiving over 250 albums. get ripping!

Last edited by broadwayblue; 09-02-02 at 05:23 PM.
Old 09-02-02, 05:31 PM
X
Administrator

Originally posted by broadwayblue
yeah, i just picked up a 120gb 7200rpm...i may swap it out for the special edition but tca is notorious for rebates and there's really no difference between 5400rpm, 7200rpm, or the SE w/ 8mb buffer for audio use.

did you use any kind of compression when you ripped your cds? if you use monkey's (.ape) you can save 30-40% and still get the lossless compression.
If you go to CompUSA, bring the web pages showing the deal. My local one had the drive priced $20 higher. I had to insist on the same price, since the website said it was available at the local store, and they gave it to me.

As for monkey, I didn't want to have to use the few players that support it. I could always convert to it if it becomes more widespread. But for now, another $110 and decommissioning an 80GB for other uses makes more sense for me.
Old 09-02-02, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just downloaded it and tested it out, sound sweet. I compared the original Wav to the APE and a 320kbps mp3 and it sounded exactly the same as the wav. It was however almost twice the size. I've got about 250 or so albums on my computer right now, and on the 48gig HD, I have about 8 left over. It's a laptop mind you, so it isn't dedicated to sound. I do however have plans to build a small computer with large storage specifically for my audio (networked between my laptop and desktop.)

This thing is great hehe, thanks for the heads up!
Old 09-03-02, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Keep in mind .ape is PC only and there are other lossless options. .shn and flac are out there too.

(I'm a shn fan myself)
Old 09-03-02, 07:58 PM

Nice box.
Old 09-05-02, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This whole "MP3 Server" concept has intrigued me for some time now, but I must admit I know little about how people are running these things (integrating them with their home theater setups and whatnot). In its simplest form, I imagine a sound card connected to an input on a receiver, and a video card with TV out, to your television(s) for song selection, etc....correct? I'm sure I'm missing something, though. Software interface recommendations, or do you just run Winamp? Anything else cool to do with these PCs during their "downtime"?

Is there a "beginners guide" or FAQ that someone could point an interested party at? I've got close to 1000 CDs amassed, as well as enough "spare" pc parts to give me a running start on a project like this...help!
Old 09-06-02, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm also interested. Sonicflood/X/everyone, any pointers or websites?
Old 09-08-02, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Looks like I'm earning my rep as a mad thread killah! Anyone have any input?!?
Old 09-10-02, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That sounds very cool! I'm jealous

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.