Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

E-mail help

Old 08-31-02, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

E-mail help

ok, I use Outlook Express, and I'm getting spam mail to one of my main e-mail accounts. At the bottom of the e-mail it says "reply to this message to be removed from this list" But ofcourse, when I reply I get a postmaster mailer back saying the address doesn't exist. Is there a way I can tell the exact e-mail this was sent from so I can either e-mail them or just block their domain?
Old 08-31-02, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Just set up filters to "kill" the junk mail. I've set up various ones based on key words that appear in spam/junk mail and I've enjoyed a major decrease in my inbox.

Sonicflood
Old 08-31-02, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

ya, I already have that set up, but the still get thru, some of them are titled "The Info you wanted" some are "HI There" and stuff like that
Old 08-31-02, 05:19 PM

Originally posted by Joxer
ya, I already have that set up, but the still get thru, some of them are titled "The Info you wanted" some are "HI There" and stuff like that
Then create a filter based on those keywords.

Are the messages always from the same sender? If so, then block the sender and you'll not have any further messages from them.

You'll never be completely spam free, but you can get close!

Hope this helps!

Sonicflood
Old 08-31-02, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

no, they aren't from the same person, I'm guessing they have a program that generates a fake reply e-mail.
Old 08-31-02, 05:43 PM

Hmmm... looks like you'll have to rely on the keyword filters then. Every time you get a message from them, just review the message for a keyword that you can use in a filter. I did this over a period of time and it really cut the amount down quite a bit.

Just think of every dirty word, slang term and financial/contest/insurance related words and enter them into the filter. Be sure and create filters that scan the body of the message AND ones that scan the subject line.

Sonicflood
Old 08-31-02, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

ok, thanks