Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Laptop hard drive info

Old 08-30-02, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
Laptop hard drive info

I finally figured out how to get into my laptop and have removed the hard drive
I need some info on what would be a compatible replacement
Appears to be an 810MB IBM model number listed on the drive is DSOA-20810. has a date of Nov 96 on it
this is for a Pentium 100 (or is it 66, haven't turned it on in a while since the drive has failed)
is this what is called a 2.5in drive?
would any 2.5in hard drive work? (I realize bios may impose a capacity limit, and I'm willing to have some wasted space if that's needed to get it running again)
Thanks for any info
Old 09-01-02, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As far as I know (which isn't very far btw), all you need to worry about is getting one that will fit. 2.5" should be right, but I think there are different thicknesses too (9mm or 12mm maybe) so you might want to measure that too.

Old 09-01-02, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i'm going through the same situation (my venerable laptop has a dead hard drive--even though i'm replacing it, i'd like to get a new hard drive if i can get one cheaply). what i know so far is that it DOES matter about the thickness, although it seems that if you have a 12mm thick bay, a 9.5mm drive will work in some laptops, but not the opposite (obviously). pricewatch has quite a few vendors with 4.3 GB 2.5", 9.5mm drives. does someone know for certain that these drives are pretty standard? the prices are not that high (~$38), but i'd rather know that it should work before i take the plunge.

EDIT: isn't "operating system not found" just about the scariest error message you've ever seen?
Old 09-01-02, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk God

yea.. in the hundreds of laptops I have been through 99% have been compatible.. you just have to take it off the sled that comes with the laptop your putting it in..

but as its been said.. there are different thicknesses.. the smaller ones will fit in anything.. the thicker ones of course wont fit in every laptop.
Old 09-01-02, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
thanks