Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Need Help Quickly (where are the computer guru's at?)

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 08-30-02, 05:19 PM

First of all I'm at college and orientation is so slow so I put in my multiplayer disc of Battlefield 1984 and when I go to connect to games nothing comes up! I press update but it is still blank. I can use Instant Messenger and direct connect and everything but can't see any games! Also I can't use Kazaa and it says that it isn't connected but it won't let me connect. So I'm going to have to download something else. The questions I have are:
What do I have to do to be able to play online games through the campus's firewall.
And secondly what is the best p2p program out there that works well on campus's besides Kazaa.
Old 08-30-02, 10:30 PM

I dunno if I am correct, but I believe the only way to get to play online is possible by getting a connection to the computer dept. and have them open the specific ports. As for p2p... The closest you can get is probably Limewire or Filetopia.. but I dunno... I'm not a guru ;-)
Old 08-30-02, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sounds like they're blocking ports (especially the P2P port). I haven't heard of many colleges doing this, but I wouldn't be surprised. As for the games part, why not call up ur resnet or whatever and ask them why it's not working? I'm sure somebody else has had the same problem (EVERYBODY plays games in the dorms).