Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

I don't get it, shouldn't digital pics be sharp every time you take it?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 08-30-02, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My bosss asked me if I could retouch some of the digital pics she took, about half were blurry and impossiblle to retouch, and the other half was sharp and clear. My boss said she used a Sony Makarta(?) camera. So I had to get rid of the bad pics.

I have never used a digital cam but I thought all the pics should come out 100% sharp and clear everytime you take a shot. Did she do something wrong like zoom out too much? anything else?
Old 08-30-02, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
depending on the camera, she just may not be waiting long enough between pics.

My father has a camera that takes blurry pics if you don't hold it absolutly still for the 2-3secs that your taking the pic. Usually when the camera clicks, the person getting their picture taken moves in response to the click. I've seen a bunch of pictures from my dad's camera that has people getting up or looking away because of this. Don't try to take quick action shots with a digital camera either (read:blurry).

Just my 2 cents
Old 08-30-02, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

yep, only thing I hate about my camera is that you have to have a good 3-5 seconds of semi stillness to get a good picture. Spur of the moment pics, and action shots dont work too well. I have noticed that Black and White shots come out decent with action sometimes, and the occasional color as well, but most are blurry.
Old 08-30-02, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

But shouldn't the camera still take a good shot even if moved slighty? She was pretty sure she held it tight. It was pics of the staff, etc. Like, one pic would have three people against a wall. But in that pic, the whole pic was just so blurry. People moving at the last second couldn't have caused the whole pic to go bad.
Old 08-31-02, 06:22 PM

Originally posted by Ranger
But shouldn't the camera still take a good shot even if moved slighty?
No.

Originally posted by Ranger
I have never used a digital cam but I thought all the pics should come out 100% sharp and clear everytime you take a shot.
No.

Camera + Movement = Blurry pictures

This really applies to all cameras. It seems like you think digital cameras will always take perfect pictures no matter what. This just isn't the case. Even the best digital cameras (5+ MP) will produce low quality pictures if the person shooting the picture isn't taking care of business.

The best thing to do is use a tripod. This will guarantee (99% of the time) that the pics will not come out blurry. Actually though, pics on a tripod can still come out blurry if the camera is still moving (even just a little) after you press the shutter button. To compensate for this, most digicams (the one's that are worth anything anyway) will allow you to set a "timer" (2 seconds, for example) that will allow the camera to completely stop moving/shaking after the shutter button is pressed and before the shutter is actually engaged/opened.

Sometimes a tripod isn't convenient though. In times like these you can always just look for something stable (a desk, table, counter, etc.) to set the camera on before taking the picture. This should help greatly and generally produces good results.

If you don't have time to set up on a tripod or stable object, just try to stay as still as possible. Line up your shot, stop moving, take a breath, hold it, stop moving, press the shutter button (I guess it's kind of like firing a gun).

Remember that what you put in is what you'll get out. And try to have fun.
Old 08-31-02, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks, everybody! I'll inform my boss about this and suggest her to use a tripod and the timer. I guess I just overestimate the power of digital camers.