Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

MCP braindump vendors under siege!

Old 08-30-02, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

MCP braindump vendors under siege!

Looks like Microsoft is finally getting serious about paper MCSE's:
NEWS FLASH: Oregon resident Robert Keppel, owner of the now-defunct braindump Web sites Cheet-Sheets.com and CheetSheets.com, pleaded guilty in federal court Friday to a charge of theft of trade secrets, in violation of Title 18, United States Code, Section 1832(a)(2).

The charge resulted from allegations made by Microsoft that Keppel was selling questions and answers to Microsoft certification exams.

When he's sentenced on November 1, Keppel faces up to 10 years in prison and $250,000 in fines. He also forfeited a Lexus RX300, a 1997 Ferrari Spider and $56,000 in cash as part of a plea agreement.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX attempted to reach both Keppel and his attorney for comment, but did not receive a response before this story was posted.

Assistant United States Attorney Annette Hayes, who prosecuted the case, said this is first application of the theft of trade secrets statute to procure a conviction within the realm of IT certification testing. In June, police in Bexar County, Texas seized the assets of TestKiller LTD and its owners citing the same felony charge, but criminal charges have not been filed in that case.

Previously, most "braindump" cases were pursued in civil court, citing copyright and trademark violations. "The [theft of trade secrets] statute is not that old... which is probably why there hasn't been many [criminal cases of this type]. But there's nothing unique about this case," said Hayes. "We picked this statute because it was the one that applied."

According to Microsoft, the case began when the company received allegations from customers that the content of Keen's CheetSheets contained live exam items. Microsoft made a criminal complaint to the Federal Bureau of Investigations during the summer of 2001, which turned the investigation over to its Computer Crimes Division.
RD
Old 08-30-02, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
No more paper MCSE's hmmmmm....... that would be a good thing!
Old 08-30-02, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk God

as long as there are exams, there will always be cheats
just the way the world works
Old 08-31-02, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't have anything against braindumps, but what this guy did was stupid. It's one thing running a forum where people post them anonymously, but it's a whole other thing selling the test questions for a profit.
Old 08-31-02, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I have something against him; once, Microsoft certifications were a great enhancement to one's marketibility, but thanks in no small part to braindumps, they are all but worthless today.

RD
Old 09-01-02, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by DivxGuy
I have something against him; once, Microsoft certifications were a great enhancement to one's marketibility, but thanks in no small part to braindumps, they are all but worthless today.

RD
I got my NT4 MCSE 2 years ago and the tests only measured very basic concepts that I've used at work. The important stuff I learned through experience and Technet. I'm plannning to finish my 2000 MCSE by the end of the year but don't really plan to put a lot of effort into it like I did my NT4. That's what BD's are for. I've deployed AD at work, integrated networks of 2 companies and now I'm just going for the paper in case I get laid off. MCSE is only good for consultants who can then charge more. No one I work with has an MCSE and we all get along with Win2000 just fine in an enterprise enviroment.