Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

New here. Question about Nero 5.5 bundled software?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 08-30-02, 01:13 PM

Hi I'm new here but have been lurking and decided to register to ask this question.

I bought a new computer (P4 Intel 1.8 ghz Win XP, dvd player and a 40x cd-rw). It came bundled with Roxio cd software but I don't like it since it doesn't include vcd capability unless you upgrade and purchase the retail version for 69.99--so I installed my 4 mo old Nero 5.5 cd (which came with the cd burner that I bought for my old computer 4 mo ago).

The problem is that it turns out that my Nero cd is "bundled software" for my old cd burner & will not work with the new cd burner that came in the new computer. Ugh! This appears to mean that neither Roxio that came with the new computer nor Nero that came with my 4 month old cd burner will work on my new computer to burn vcds. So even though I have both, neither will burn a vcd because of the limitations they set on it. (By the way I used Nero to burn vcds on the older computer all the time).

Is there a way around having to purchase the software that I ALREADY HAVE ON CD but won't work on another cd burner? I have no idea what kind of cd burner this is. The old cd burner was a Hi-Val I think? I really hate to buy the cd for Nero when I already have it on CD and know it worked on the old computer & cd burner. I guess it is not the retail version snce it came with the old cd burner. Can anyone help give me an idea how to install the cd to work with the new cd burner? Thank you from the bottom of my heart if anyone can help me!

Kazily
Old 08-30-02, 01:29 PM

I probably should add that the Nero installed ok on the new computer but it won't work at all because it pops up an error that it is bundled software and will not work with the current cd-rw. So while I can burn a music or data cd on Roxio, I can't burn a vcd on either program since Nero won't work at all now that it's on another computer. Thanks for any tips on what I can do to fix this.

Kazily
Old 08-30-02, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I did the same thing you did...only problem is it won't let me uninstall the bad Nero to install another "good-on-any-computer" version of Nero. On the Nero website, they have an upgrade that you have to buy (for $19.99) to fix your copy so that it works on your new computer.

If anyone knows how to uninstall the non-working Nero so I can install the Nero that works on any computer, I'd be pretty damn happy
Old 08-30-02, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You can probably go into DOS and delete the files, but then you'd have to clean up your registry.
Old 08-30-02, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah, it's the registry that's causing my problem