Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Reset SID in Windows XP Pro

Old 08-30-02, 07:39 AM
Mod Emeritus

Reset SID in Windows XP Pro

I'm trying to setup some XP Pro systems doing things like they worked under NT and 2000... using Ghost and Sysinternals NewSID. Unfortunately, it appears that NewSID doesn't work under XP. Has anyone found a way to make this combination work?

If not, has anyone found another way to address the problem?
Old 08-30-02, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

http://service4.symantec.com/SUPPORT...type=corp&svy=

Wow that link is long, if it doesn't work, go here

http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/ent...75/search.html

search for

Document ID: 1999050308324125
Old 08-30-02, 09:30 AM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by 4KRG
http://service4.symantec.com/SUPPORT...type=corp&svy=

Wow that link is long, if it doesn't work, go here

Man, you weren't kidding when you said it was long!

Unfortunately, I've already been there, done that. That, at least to me, says that Ghost Walker will work. In the real world, it doesn't work on XP with any version less than 7.5... of course, I don't have 7.5.

I was hoping that someone here could come up with another one of the "Third party utilities" that actually worked for XP.
Old 08-30-02, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Dead,
What about the freeware NTSID which even comes with source code (in case you are paranoid about someone's tool inserting a secret backdoor into your cloned machines)?

A brief description of how it works is also at the website above. I have not ever used NTSID so I have no idea of its applicability in your installation.

FOLLOWUP:
The NTSID program seems to have disappeared from all of the standard download sites. The above foreign site still has it available for download. I speculate that some freeware programs may disappear if the programmer sells his creation to another company. I don't know why else this program would disappear since the author is usually the one to send a request to each download site to remove the program.

Last edited by Startide; 08-30-02 at 03:10 PM.
Old 08-30-02, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Dead: In my limited experience with SIDs on Win2K machines (I spent a few months teching for my law school after graduation), we relied exclusively on SysPrep. Worked well, and you'd hope it would considering it's Microsoft's own tool for doing this!

- David Stein
Old 08-30-02, 05:07 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by sfsdfd
Dead: In my limited experience with SIDs on Win2K machines (I spent a few months teching for my law school after graduation), we relied exclusively on SysPrep. Worked well, and you'd hope it would considering it's Microsoft's own tool for doing this!

- David Stein

Yes, that's what I've resorted to doing for now. Unfortunately, it's much more time consuming that using something like NewSID.
Old 08-31-02, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Windows 2000 had a utility called sysprep. You could download it from Microsoft and I think it came on a SP CD. It reset the OS so on a reboot it reran a mini version of setup and reset it's SID.

http://search.microsoft.com/default....h=Submit+query