Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

a question about ram (probably a stupid one, but i need some help)

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 08-30-02, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i am wanting to put more ram in my pc. i am currently running an amd athlon 850 mhz with 256 mb of ram (i dont know what kind) and i was wanting to put another stick of 256 in. btw i am almost a complete moron when it comes to upgrading stuff in my pc.

first question is how much will it speed u my pc? i have heard that 2 sticks of 256 does not equal one stick of 512, is this true?

second question is what is the best kind of ram to get? i havent checked what my motherboard supports and i am ignorant to why ddr ram is better and what not, so any and all explanations would be helpful.

third question is what price should i expect to pay for a stick of 256?

i am running win xp pro if that makes any difference. any advice/suggestions/and general imparting of knowledge would be appreciated.
Old 08-30-02, 06:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i'm not sure how much the speedup would be--maybe someone else with a similar system can answer.

is your computer a particular model and brand? if not, do you have a box or manual to the motherboard which might tell you what the motherboard is? This info would make it much easier to answer with certainty.

i'd guess that your computer is running PC133 memory (as opposed to DDR) but you'd definitely want to know for sure before buying new memory. 256 PC133 RAM is pretty inexpensive these days, you could probably find a deal for ~$30, but definitely less than $50, i think.
Old 08-30-02, 06:37 AM
DVD Talk God

with winxp.. yes, another 256 will make a noticable difference
yea, 256mb chips will give the same performance as 1 512 chip

and for price.. as mentioned above.. it all depends on what type of memory you need.. sdram, ddr, rambus, etc...
Old 09-03-02, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Eeyore
i'm not sure how much the speedup would be--maybe someone else with a similar system can answer.

is your computer a particular model and brand? if not, do you have a box or manual to the motherboard which might tell you what the motherboard is? This info would make it much easier to answer with certainty.

i'd guess that your computer is running PC133 memory (as opposed to DDR) but you'd definitely want to know for sure before buying new memory. 256 PC133 RAM is pretty inexpensive these days, you could probably find a deal for ~$30, but definitely less than $50, i think.
here is my motherboard info if someone could help. it is a gigabyte GA-7IXE. how do i know if i need to choose 133mHz vs 100 mHz 256 mb dimm ram?

here is the info about my motherboard
Old 09-04-02, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Gigabyte GA-7IXE4 or
Gigabyte GA-7IXEH?
Old 09-04-02, 12:34 PM
Stealth Moderator

Open up your computer and look at your current RAM. Hopefully it will say whether it is PC100 or PC133.

If you're not sure, then just get PC133. It's backwards compatible with the PC100.
Old 09-04-02, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

From the website:

MEMORY
16MB to 768MB DRAM size
3 x 3.3V DIMM sockets
Supports 64/128/256 MB SDRAM DIMM module
Supports ECC type DIMM module (72bits)

Okay, you want the 256 pc133 memory. I would personally recommend Crucial. It's been a good performer for me and it's quality stuff. A little more expensive, but worth it IMHO.

As I understand pc133 v pc100. Let's say your mobo can't handle 133...then it automatically runs at 100. But 100 cannot run at 133, so you sacrifice performance.

You should notice a decent improvement in bootup time and application loading time, along with a host of other little tweaks.
Old 09-04-02, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

thanks for everyone's advice and help.
Old 09-04-02, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: a question about ram (probably a stupid one, but i need some help)

Originally posted by nchhabra
i am wanting to put more ram in my pc. i am currently running an amd athlon 850 mhz with 256 mb of ram (i dont know what kind) and i was wanting to put another stick of 256 in. btw i am almost a complete moron when it comes to upgrading stuff in my pc.

first question is how much will it speed u my pc? i have heard that 2 sticks of 256 does not equal one stick of 512, is this true?

second question is what is the best kind of ram to get? i havent checked what my motherboard supports and i am ignorant to why ddr ram is better and what not, so any and all explanations would be helpful.

third question is what price should i expect to pay for a stick of 256?

i am running win xp pro if that makes any difference. any advice/suggestions/and general imparting of knowledge would be appreciated.
Crucial is pretty good. As far as speed, it depends on what you do. Some things are CPU heavy, some memory heavy others stress the hard disk and I/O.