Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Video editing questions

Old 08-29-02, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Video editing questions

Hey all-

Thanks to everyone here, I got all the connections, and techincal aspects down very good. I have good softare and have made some novice Video CD's.

Here is my question right now:

I video taped a friend's concert with my camcorder. Someone else video taped it with her camcorder. She got most of the stright, 1 angle footage. I walked around and got various angles. I did not record the entire thing though. I just got a few different angles a few different times.

Is there a way, we can seamlessly add in my footage to the correct parts on her full length tape? Sound is obviously a big issue.

I assume it would have something to do with time coding. And of course since I just recordeed 3 - 5 minute "spurts", and didn't keep my camera running the whold time, the soundtrack will be very tricky.

The ultimate goal, is to have a seamless soundtrack (can not just add it in, becasue it won't match up withir lips) and have many different angles, blended together, just like a movie or professional shoot would have

Can someone help guide me through this. Basic questions I know..... but we all have to start somewhere

Thanks in advance everyone!
Old 08-30-02, 08:21 AM
Banned

It would be just about impossible to get the sound to be seamless.
Old 08-30-02, 09:13 AM

Difficult - not impossible. What you'll need to do is use some sort of visual cue. Timecodes won't help you, since you stopped your camera several times.

Decide where you want to make a cut to a different camera, and then look for a specific movement or cue that will be present in both shots (ie. a hand movement, etc). You will have to do this frame by frame. When you've got the right spot, just do an insert edit of the new footage. That way, you won't disrupt the original A roll, and you will only cut away for short B footage (other angle, crowd, whathaveyou). If it doesn't look exactly right, you'll have to try again - go back or forward a frame or two and try to get it right.

Oh, don't worry, it'll be a big pain in the butt.
Old 08-30-02, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by futbol
Difficult - not impossible. What you'll need to do is use some sort of visual cue. Timecodes won't help you, since you stopped your camera several times.

Decide where you want to make a cut to a different camera, and then look for a specific movement or cue that will be present in both shots (ie. a hand movement, etc). You will have to do this frame by frame. When you've got the right spot, just do an insert edit of the new footage. That way, you won't disrupt the original A roll, and you will only cut away for short B footage (other angle, crowd, whathaveyou). If it doesn't look exactly right, you'll have to try again - go back or forward a frame or two and try to get it right.

Oh, don't worry, it'll be a big pain in the butt.
Now for next time, what is the easiest way to do this? How do the pros do it??
Old 08-30-02, 10:42 PM

Live mixing. That's the only way to do it EASILY and SEAMLESSLY.

Your only other option would be to have both cameras running constantly (so the timecode would be the same), but it would be impossible to get them exactly the same.

Unless you're mixing at the shoot, you're going to have to do some work to cut to alternate angles and make it look good. It can be done - if you're lucky it might not even be too difficult, just tedious. But then again, that's what video editing is - and I wouldn't have it any other way.
Old 08-31-02, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Pro equipment can be synched to a common time code.

For your current problem, like futbol mentioned, you'll basically just have to synch it up by eye. For footage that has closeups of dialogue or singing, getting it so it doesn't look rubbery will require a lot of patience. For wider shots, however, I think you might be surprised by how much you can cheat there. Sometimes all you really need to do is synch to the beat.

In the future, what you might want to do is use a slate. When you start a shot, point both cameras at the slate, clap it, and the cameras will be in synch until you stop one of them. This will require a bit of creativity to work with depending on what you're doing, but it's better than trying to synch footage by eye later.
Old 08-31-02, 09:34 AM

Synching to the beat will only cause more problems. If you use the audio from both cameras, the volume will obviously change, which would be very distracting. In your editor, set up your main camera as your main video. Then for each of your cutaway shots, do an insert. This will eliminate the audio from your cutaway and use the audio from the main camera. That way, the volume will remain constant.
Old 08-31-02, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

futbol, I guess I wasn't being very clear because what you're saying is exactly what I meant . What you've described is pretty much the only way Sominex is going to get a watchable video from what he has and I thought your first post explained it pretty well. I was just trying to point out that depending on his footage, it may be that he doesn't have to insert it exactly where it belongs. That is, he may not need to put everything in the exact correct time sequence.
Old 08-31-02, 11:18 PM

Oh OK, your post just made it sound like you were suggesting he use both audio streams, when that would clearly not be the best idea.
Old 09-01-02, 03:35 AM

Originally posted by futbol
Oh OK, your post just made it sound like you were suggesting he use both audio streams, when that would clearly not be the best idea.
exactly...do what they do in music videos just wing it, nobody's gonna notice

if you look closely in a lot of music videos, the lips are out of synch. if you spend some time this problem can be easily corrected