Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Should I buy this computer?

Old 08-29-02, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Should I buy this computer?

http://www.gateway.com/home/prod/hm_...dDetail2.shtml

I'm looking to spend about $2000 (before tax) on a new computer. I'd rather spend more money now and not have to upgrade for at least 3 years. I've been shopping around for about a month and this looks like a pretty good deal especially since they've bumped the CPU to 2.53GHz on Monday when Intel announced price cuts. Please note....most of the cost can be attributed to the LCD monitor. Can anyone suggest a better buy? Here are some of the drawbacks I see with this purchase:

-no DVD burner
-$104 shipping charge
-no printer
-Ti4200 video card (I'd prefer the 4600)
Old 08-29-02, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

just make sure you call them back after you've had it for 29 days...you'll probably get a couple hundred bucks back.
Old 08-29-02, 01:27 PM

You can save around $400 building a comparable system yourself; is that compeltely out of the question?
Old 08-29-02, 02:05 PM

Re: Should I buy this computer?

Originally posted by wabio
http://www.gateway.com/home/prod/hm_...dDetail2.shtml

I'm looking to spend about $2000 (before tax) on a new computer. I'd rather spend more money now and not have to upgrade for at least 3 years. I've been shopping around for about a month and this looks like a pretty good deal especially since they've bumped the CPU to 2.53GHz on Monday when Intel announced price cuts. Please note....most of the cost can be attributed to the LCD monitor. Can anyone suggest a better buy? Here are some of the drawbacks I see with this purchase:

-no DVD burner
-$104 shipping charge
-no printer
-Ti4200 video card (I'd prefer the 4600)
Gateway is doo doo IMO ,if you want the best looking system with some nice hardware and the best price save yourself alot of time and go to dell.com
Old 08-29-02, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

originally posted by Young Vito:

Gateway is doo doo IMO ,if you want the best looking system with some nice hardware and the best price save yourself alot of time and go to dell.com

I just tried putting together the same system at Dell, but even with coupons I wasn't able to get it under $2300 Is there a special deal I'm unaware of?
Old 08-29-02, 09:52 PM

Spending more money on the top of the line computer is not the best way to go. That computer is not significantly more powerful than say a 2.0Ghz but costs much more.

The most advanced chips are priced way out of proportion to their performance because some people need to have the latest and greatest. Unfortunately 6 months down the road your latest is old news and now bargain priced compared to what you paid.

If you want a really nice computer that will still last 2 or 3 years then look for what was top of the line about 6 months ago. It will save you alot of cash and still have the same longevity.
Old 08-29-02, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just went to Mwave to see how much the Processor/Motherboard/RAM combo would be, and it'll be somewhere around $900! That's insane. Looking at the prices, you're paying $500+ just for the RDRAM. Switch to DDR and you'll get very comparable speed for much less.

512 MB of Kingston DDR RAM is $138. Why pay $350+ for the Rambus name? It really doesn't make sense.

But, let's assume you want RDRAM.

Mobo/P4-2.5/512 RDRAM = $913
18.1" LCD Monitor (Sony or Viewsonic) = $750
TI4600 = $319
80GB HD = $112 (8MB buffer - 2MB buffer = $99)
48X/12X/48X Lite-On = $79 (40X/12X/48X = $62)
DVD-ROM = $38 (pointless though since you can use the CD-RW)
SB Audigy = $81
Speakers = $30-60
Modem = $0 - who needs a modem??
NIC = $15
Tower = $35
Keyboard/Mouse = $40
XP Home = $90
MS Works = $0 - use something free
AOL = $0 - come on...AOL??
Anti-Virus = $10 (or even free)

Total - About $2400
But you get your own keyboard, rather than the eyesore they give you, better speakers, a better tower most likely, the TI4600, better HD, better CD-RW, etc.

Switch to:
(ABIT IT7-Specs ; INTEL PENTIUM 4 2.26G - 478; MWAVE 512MB NON-ECC PC2700(333Mhz); ASSEMBLE/TEST BUNDLE)
And save $381 with only a slight hit in speed (who really needs 2.5 GHz? In two years, 2.2 GHz will still be quite powerful - plus in a year, an upgrade to a 3.5 Ghz will be cheap).

It's all up to you. Personally, I like the build your own since you can carry over items - keyboard, mouse, hard drives, speakers, etc. and save tons o' money plus, you know how it all works and it's easier to diagnose & fix problems, and much easier to upgrade.

My $0.04
Old 08-30-02, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

originally posted by Kevlar

The most advanced chips are priced way out of proportion to their performance because some people need to have the latest and greatest. Unfortunately 6 months down the road your latest is old news and now bargain priced compared to what you paid.
I agree 100%. Which is why I'm trying for the 2.53GHz processor. It's no longer top of the line. Intel has a 2.60GHz, 2.66GHz, 2.8GHz and later this year will release the 3.0GHz CPU's. When they released the 2.8 version this past Monday, they dropped the 2.53GHz chip 62%. It's now priced at $279, only $100 more than the 2.0GHz you suggested. The biggest culprit weighing down the cost of system is the LCD monitor....$800 at the cheapest, leaving $1200 for the rest of the system which isn't bad.
Old 08-30-02, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

originally posted by Blake

I just went to Mwave to see how much the Processor/Motherboard/RAM combo would be, and it'll be somewhere around $900! That's insane. Looking at the prices, you're paying $500+ just for the RDRAM. Switch to DDR and you'll get very comparable speed for much less.
Whoa! How did you get it up to $900? Are Moyo motherboards really expensive? Here's what I was able to gather from newegg.com:

Rambus
-----------------------------
Pentium 4 2.53GHz Norwood..........................$285
(2) X 256MB 800MHz RDRAM..........(2)$100 = $200
Intel 850 Motherboard....................................$156
$641

DDR
Pentium 4 2.53GHz Norwood..........................$285
512MB PC2700 DDR........................................$175
Intel 845 Motherboard....................................$129
$589

Let me know if I'm missing anything
Old 08-30-02, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by wabio
Whoa! How did you get it up to $900? Are Moyo motherboards really expensive? Here's what I was able to gather from newegg.com:

(2) X 256MB 800MHz RDRAM..........(2)$100 = $200
-------------------------
$641
I guess our prices differ on the RDRAM. I priced it at $350+ - you only got $200 - I guess MWave is really jacking the prices of RDRAM up, also, I didn't select the standard Intel 850 motherboard, but went with some other brand I can't recall right now (probably ABIT or ASUS). But now, let's assume that you can get a processor/ram/mobo combo for $641, that drops the price of the homebuilt system I posted to $2100.

That $2100 includes the TI4600 instead of the 4200, a better Hard Drive, a better CD-RW, any keyboard, mouse, speakers you want, and very easy upgradeability. The lower you can find for the P4/RAM/Mobo combo, the more attractive building your own system is.
Old 08-30-02, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

that's not a terrible price, but my friends that had Gateways have had bad luck. Personally, I think Dell makes the best system (not counting putting it together yourself).
Old 08-31-02, 03:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My family has been through 3 Gateways and we've never had one problem. Tech support has been great (it's nice being able to just take it to a Gateway Country store) and even though I've put together our latest generation of computers, my old 350MHz Gateway I first had when I went to college is still going strong as my server ( http://wildstorm.dns2go.com/ )
Old 08-31-02, 03:50 PM

Originally posted by Kevlar
Spending more money on the top of the line computer is not the best way to go. That computer is not significantly more powerful than say a 2.0Ghz but costs much more.

If you want a really nice computer that will still last 2 or 3 years then look for what was top of the line about 6 months ago. It will save you alot of cash and still have the same longevity.