Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Question about the Sony Clie PEG-NR70 PDA

Old 08-29-02, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Question about the Sony Clie PEG-NR70 PDA

If you've seen this PDA you'll know that half the screen is taken up by the handwriting function on PalmOS. I've heard there is a way of removing this if you use non-Palm software.
So my question is, can I remove PalmOS and install another OS? Or what software will make the entire screen viewable?

Thanks.
Old 08-29-02, 11:49 AM

I don't believe you'll be able to install another OS. The handwriting function seems to take no more than 1/3 of the screen when it is present. Depending on which program you are using, you may be able to minimize the handwriting area (Graffiti) to a small bar at the bottom of the screen.
Old 08-29-02, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
I doubt it could be replaced, but see if Clie tech support has any info (probably not as it would be an unsupported feature even if it worked)
1-877-760-7669

Last edited by mikehunt; 08-30-02 at 05:11 PM.
Old 08-30-02, 12:05 AM

What OS did you have in mind anyway? I'm fairly certain that PocketPC will not run on this particular Clie. Perhaps once PalmOS devices become based on ARM processors instead of the current Dragonball processors, some enterprising individuals may be able to hack PocketPC to work considering PocketPC is written for ARM processors.

I don't know if anyone has ever been able to get Linux to run on the current generation of Palm devices though.
Old 08-30-02, 02:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I didn't really have any OS in mind. I just wanted to get rid of that handwriting section cause I know I'll just be using the keyboard. I haven't got it yet you see, so I'm not 100% sure on what is and isn't possible. I was told by one person that only certain programs will allow you to see the entire screen, while other people say that you can't get rid of it within PalmOS. So I assumed you would have to run some 3rd party software/OS on it.
I just think it's a bit of a scam that realistically while PalmOS is running you get less screen space than the previous model.
Iveal, which programs will let me minimize the handwriting area?
Old 08-30-02, 09:08 AM

I don't personally own the NR70 series of Clie, but it is my understanding that the default applications that come with them do not support minimizing the Graffiti area.

Off the top of my head, I can only think of several office productivity programs and some viewers that allow minimizing the Virtual Graffiti area:
  • TinySheet (spreadsheet)
  • WordSmith (word processor)
  • Documents To Go version 5 (spreadsheet, word processor, etc)
  • QuickOffice (same)
  • iSilo (HTML, Palm DOC reader)
  • SplashPhoto (picture viewer)
  • Action Names Datebook (calendar, contacts, to do, etc)

Also, hrFontMapper "hacks" certain apps to get rid of the Graffiti area, but YMMV.
Old 08-30-02, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

iveal, where can I get a hold of those programs?
Do you suggest a website that has info on these and other clie related stuff?
Old 09-01-02, 02:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I just bought one of these today to replace my 760C. CompUSA is closing them out and I picked one up for $350. I've found several programs the support the full screen mode. Besides the ones listed above Palm Reader and Handstory also support what's known as Hi Res+ or full screen mode. More programs will begin to support it because the Palm is moving toward virtual grafiti areas with OS 5 in October or November.

This is without a doubt the best pda I've every owned. Having a 480X320 hi res color screen and a built in thumb keyboard is amazing. Its also a pretty decent universal remote and MP3 player.