Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

I need a laptop, did i mention im an idiot when it comes to computers?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 08-28-02, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I need to get a laptop for work, for school, and for space. right now i have a old HP desktop, it works fine, but its time for an upgrade. id only assume just about anything out there would outperform this dinasour (450 mhz, 16mb ram ). Anyway, i need to know what to look for in a laptop, and where to look for one. Its going to be used for everything, so it needs to be multi-functional. Any recomendations in the $1500 or less range? Thanks!
Old 08-29-02, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

First, decide if a laptop is really waht you want. While the lastest laptops are very close to desktops, there are still things you simply cannot do with them, like upgrade. Also, if you don't get what you want in it when you buy it, expect to pay exhorbatant prices to get it -- if you can get it at all. So, if you want a DVD-ROM, get it when you buy it. If you want a CD-RW, get that. If you want to play games, make sure it has a good 3D card in it. A $1500 desktop will be a pretty kick-ass machine if you shop right, a $1500 laptop will be close to the bottom line. Don't get one just because it's cool to have one.

Still want a laptop? Now you need to determine what is more important to you, features or weight. I used to want a desktop replacement every time work issued me a laptop, but after lugging 8 pound laptops all over the country the past three years, that little barebones machine on my co-worker's desk is starting to look really tempting. Of course, I give up an internal DVD or CD-ROM, a floppy drive, and any PCMCIA slots ... but then again, how often do I use those things?

Next, you need to decide if you like the "eraser stick" kind of mouse or the glidepoint style. There's definately a preference, and I highly recommend going to a CompUSA and playing with both for at least fifteen or twenty minutes. Personally, I hate the glidepoint, it's very imprecise, my thumbs rub on it while I type (causing the mouse to do odd things), and I have to take my hands off the keyboard to use it. However, it's very popular and that limits my choice of laptops greatly. Many people don't like the eraser stick because it takes some time to get good at using it. It's also pressure sensitive even though it doesn't move, and that is hard for some people to comprehend. I like it so much that if I could buy a keyboard for my desktop with one built in, I'd do it.

All that said, I highly recommend Dell's laptops, with IBM and Toshiba running a close second and third. I like the Dell because it has both pointing devices, and is generally well-priced and very rugged. I don't like the fact that the buttons for the stick mouse aren't well-placed for my hands, making the mouse hard to use. The IBM is great, very durable, but probably out of your price range and only comes with the stick. It's considered one of the best made laptops, but it does come with a price -- and it doesn't look quite as nice as the Dell. Toshiba also makes a great laptop, but recently they only come with the touchpad, so I've quit buying or recommending them. They hold up well, they are cheap, and you can actually try before you buy (try finding a Dell or IBM laptop in a store).
Old 08-29-02, 03:25 PM
lxl

From my experience with 7 laptops, I would only consider IBM ThinkPad.
Old 08-29-02, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by einTier
mouse stuff
Solution: External Mouse.
Old 08-29-02, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I been using laptop for some time now, 8 years.Used a lot brands.Dell is what I stick with nowdays,they are good and reliable and you can configure what you want.IBM and Toshiba are good also.
Don't buy the Vaio models cause they have parts breaking all the time.You don't need more than 1.4Ghz on the laptops, just get a good screen and a very comfortable keyboard.Memory should be at least 256mb and the HDD more than 20GB is better.CD-rom and DVd combo for entertainment.At least 2 USB,and a IEEE-1394 connection.
Any high end unit from thsi manufactures should be great ,if only they come within your budget.Get at least 3 years of warranty,cause laptops repairs can be very costly!
Old 08-30-02, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by the aftermath
Solution: External Mouse.
Not always practical, and I hate carrying anything other than the laptop itself -- particularly if it needs cables.
Old 08-30-02, 09:44 AM

Found this in a link in the Hot Deals forum a couple days ago. It's a pretty good deal and under the amount you're looking to spend. Hope this helps.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=232205