Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Graphics Cards With Video Capture

Old 08-28-02, 03:38 PM

Graphics Cards With Video Capture

i know a lot of graphic cards these days have an s video out to hook up to a tv and a few have an s video in. for example the gainward geforce4 Ultra/650 XP. on gainward's website it said it can capture tv signals but where does the sound come from? is there an audio jack on the board?

the reason i ask is because i want a good graphics card and a video/sound capturer so i can do video editing with some hi8 tapes.

any advice or suggestions are appreciated

dave
Old 08-28-02, 11:50 PM

I don't know of a video card(consumer grade anyways) that captures sound; always done through sound card. There are dedicated video capture boards that do sound capture; Pinnacle DC30+ is one but it is an old model. Check out www.videoguys.com for what's current in the video editing world.
Old 08-29-02, 01:20 AM

Originally posted by Mayniac
I don't know of a video card(consumer grade anyways) that captures sound; always done through sound card. There are dedicated video capture boards that do sound capture; Pinnacle DC30+ is one but it is an old model. Check out www.videoguys.com for what's current in the video editing world.
i think the next logical question is...what good is a video capture if it doesn't get sound. are there soundcards with rca inputs?
Old 08-29-02, 01:35 AM

Ati's RAdeon All in wonder seem to fit your needs

The later models have a ton of stuff, and they come with software for editing i think
Old 08-29-02, 03:10 AM

Originally posted by Toxygen
Ati's RAdeon All in wonder seem to fit your needs

The later models have a ton of stuff, and they come with software for editing i think
i saw the all in one but how do i get the audio transfered i didn't see anything about audio in/outs
Old 08-29-02, 08:50 AM

Originally posted by davidave

i think the next logical question is...what good is a video capture if it doesn't get sound. are there soundcards with rca inputs?
You can buy a cable from Radio Shack that is terminated with RCAs at one end and a 1/8 inch mini plug at the other end. Just connect this to the line in or mic in jack of the sound card.

I bought a video capture board and it had a mini jack to mini jack adapter to plug between it and the soundcard if you used the coaxial input. If you used the RCA inputs then you used the adapter for the soundcard. Either way you had to caputure sound through your soundcard.
Old 08-29-02, 01:30 PM

dale has the right idea. Just get an adapter so you can use the line-in on your sound card. If you want high quality sound, you may have to upgrade your soundcard as well.
Old 08-30-02, 02:10 AM

Originally posted by agent2099
dale has the right idea. Just get an adapter so you can use the line-in on your sound card. If you want high quality sound, you may have to upgrade your soundcard as well.
anyone have any input on how the quality of the sound is with an adapter? it's not stereo sound anymore if it goes the adapter is it?

thanks

dave

edit: i see the radeon 8500 has a rca input attached the video card at pcworld.

can anyone explain this?

http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,95245,00.asp

Last edited by davidave; 08-30-02 at 02:39 AM.
Old 08-31-02, 12:13 AM

well my radeon AIW (the first radeon AIW model) has rca inputs, stereo.. and you can use the line in of your soundcard for sound, too.. so if your soundcard has stereo inputs you're set.. I still think the radeon (any model) is a good deal for having a good graphics card + video capture.