Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Looking for an mp3 voice remover.

Old 08-27-02, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Looking for an mp3 voice remover.

Any suggestions? There is a song that has a good backbeat but the singer has a very annoying voice. Is there a good app to remove the voice from an mp3? I tried DART Karaoke and OTS Jukebox and none of those work good.
Old 08-27-02, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Uhh...how can you possibly remove the vocals from a sound file?

The voice of a person goes across so much of the sound spectrum that it would be impossible to do properly! The only way this works is if a file is more than one track with the vocals isolated on one or more specific tracks. I have never in all my years run across an .mp3 file with that characteristic!
Old 08-27-02, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Keep in mind, I know jack about sound files or the 'sound spectrum'. But how do all these Karaoke files get made?
Old 08-27-02, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Jepthah
Uhh...how can you possibly remove the vocals from a sound file?

The voice of a person goes across so much of the sound spectrum that it would be impossible to do properly! The only way this works is if a file is more than one track with the vocals isolated on one or more specific tracks. I have never in all my years run across an .mp3 file with that characteristic!
Actually not true it most cases.

The way most vocals are mixed on a recording is the voice is recorded in mono on one track and then mixed to the center.

You can eliminate the voice from the track very successfully by running a program that will pan the left side to the right, the right side to the left and then invert them while at the same time running a filter to remove certain frequencies.

Cool Edit Pro is what I use and it does this very well, but you do lose some of the music but actually not too much. It's actually pretty cool to hear all the stuff you never did before with the voice gone.

We used to do it the old fashioned way back in the day by running the + side of the right speaker wire to the + side of the left speaker and the - side of the left speaker wire to the - side of the right speaker. Then play around with a equalizer to help it. Of course we didn't have any digital filter to help, but it worked. (oh yeah do not attempt this at home )

The other problem MP3s have though is the file is compressed which makes it tougher to remove vocals. On WAV files though it works like a champ.
Old 08-28-02, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

paleb.d....amazing and educational! That sounds almost like Sci-Fi but upon further reflection it seems entirely possible (I do know the basics about audio production and mixing...). I would like to try that out just to see how it changes a sound file.

Of course, if vocals are panned to one side or the other, you're f--ed, right?
Old 08-29-02, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

yes vocals have to be properly mixed and track has to be stereo for this to work. I know that the basic winamp used to have this built into it a while ago. Maybe it still does, I'm sure you can get a plugin if it isn't built in